Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Contacting Palm

by Bill Osler / September 23, 2008 7:27 AM PDT

I use my Palm TX almost every day at work because of some programs from ePocrates that make checking drug information much simpler. After 3 years of daily use the power switch on my 1st TX decided to stop working so I replaced it. The Palm folks told me that if I bought the extended warranty one of benefits would be use of a replacement if I had to return my TX for service. That pretty much sealed the deal for me. Unfortunately, reality is not quite so simple.

I bought the new TX about 2 months ago, so I'm still under the original warranty. The screen is acting flaky so I called Palm about getting repair work done. The first person I talked to told me that the repair will require 3-5 business days plus shipping time and that they will not provide a unit for use during the repair. When I questioned the tech support person she became fairly hostile and eventually hung up as I was asking that she refer me to her supervisor. She spoke clear English but it was obvious that she was clueless about some things (I had to repeatedly correct my email and address information when she read it back wrong, ...)

I called back. I got a different person. He did not speak clear English but I had the impression he at least had a clue. He eventually decided that my extended warranty would cover a refurbished unit if I really wanted to do that but making the arrangements would be a hassle and I wouldn't get the original unit back. He made it sound like they ship semi-functional units when they do the exchange. He also implied that it would shorten the duration of the extended warranty, but I never could get him to make a clear statement on that. I'm still not sure if he was being evasive or if it was a language thing.

Maybe I should write to Palm Customer Service? Maybe not. They're not big on putting useful contact information on their web site. To contact Customer Service you call the same number I tried earlier. You end up talking to tech support. Not a terribly welcoming group, are they?

I'll probably end up writing their corporate headquarters. At least that address is available on the web. Still, it's annoying that they make everything about this process so hard.

The main reason I bought the Palm is so I can use the ePocrates product. Unfortunately some of its features don't work on smart phones or Pocket PC platforms so I'm stuck with Palm PDAs for now. Oh well.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Contacting Palm
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Contacting Palm
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two bad experiences like those
by drpruner / September 23, 2008 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Contacting Palm

indicate they may have changed service vendors, and not for the better.
"implied that it would shorten the duration of the extended warranty"
sounds wrong. Most state laws say you extend the standard warranty by the time you're out of use of the product. That would include travel time of your 'temp replacement'. The extended will have its own language, which you need to check.
From the beginning, Palm mgmt. has sandbagged its own excellent tech people from time to time. That's what happened when it got into serious problems some years ago.

Collapse -
Maybe they can't read their own site?
by Dragon / September 24, 2008 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Contacting Palm

# One time Screen Replacement
One-time replacement of the Palm device screen during the term of the contract. Not covered under the original limited warranty.
# Advance Exchange and no additional shipping charges. Have a replacement device sent to you within 2-3 business days at no extra charge during the length of your contract (not covered under the original warranty)

Collapse -
by Bill Osler / September 24, 2008 10:37 AM PDT

The extended warranty should cover this. The only question is whether the repair I require would constitute a 'screen replacement'. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get a straight answer to that one. My impression is that 'screen replacement' refers to things like a damaged screen. I don't know whether it refers to failure of a defective part.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?