TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

ConsumerReports BD Player Ratings

by masonaries / September 27, 2008 5:42 AM PDT

ConsumerReports has a new review of BD players. I don't know what to make of them.

Sylvania NB500SL9 is rated 1st rating 88

Magnavox NB500MG9 is rated 3rd rating 87

Sony BDPS350 is rated 6th rating 84

Samsung BDP1500 is rated 10th (last) rating 75

(I owe justenmeat an apology for recommending the Magnavox and thinking he was playing with me.)

What do you all think of CR reviews

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ConsumerReports BD Player Ratings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ConsumerReports BD Player Ratings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CR ratings aren't worth much
by Dan Filice / September 27, 2008 5:52 AM PDT

Sylvania and Magnovox?? Please. What ever happened to their quality for making TVs? They are some of the worst TVs right along GE, RCA and some of the Philips. I personally trust the reviews done here on CNET, the AV Forum and HomeTheaterSpot.com and a few others.

Collapse -
by jonnybones / September 28, 2008 3:40 PM PDT

What has happened lately (the last 15 years) is that people have given way to price over performance. It slowly kills me inside when people buy the Vizio over the Samsung, because

"its 1080p just like the Samsung and Sony, and it has 3 HDMI inputs, must be the same TV but half the price"

I pretty much wish those customers would lose their jobs so they couldn't come into my store anymore. It is especially bad in the audio department. I can't even type all that I have to say about that tonight; I have to get to bed sometime.

Collapse -
I trust Consumer Reports but..............
by kcfvegas / September 27, 2008 4:23 PM PDT

I have long trusted consumer reports as they are pretty objective and do a lot of testing of both performance and durability. But I do have to admit that I am very surprised by the ratings that you are showing. Sylvania and Magnavox rated numbers one and two, has me scratching my head though. I would like to know what issue you are looking at, as I subscribe to C.R. and I don't recall ever seeing the review that you are writing about.

Collapse -
I'm shocked too
by masonaries / September 27, 2008 10:06 PM PDT

Yes I'm shocked also. But they do say they have no info on reliabily.
Most telling is the comparison of the s350 and 1500 which CNET confirms. The 1500 does a poor job of upconverting DVD compared to the s350 which I'm going to buy.

They also do not take into account ports for receivers. These are basic BD players.

Most telling is there report on upconverting DVD players in which OPPO is not even ranked eventho OPPO is the best DVD player on the market IMO.

The ratings are on their web site which you have to be a member to access.

Collapse -
Consumer Reports
by bevillan / September 29, 2008 3:02 AM PDT

I subscribe to Consumer Reports, but you have to realize that they are not the best reviewers for certain types of products. They are great for appliances where there isn't much depth to the products (i.e. vacuums, fridges, toasters). They also are good with their car reviews since it is their flagship subject and their testing seems to be pretty scientifically standardized.

With computers, TVs, Blu-ray players though they don't go deep enough into the performance of the products and weigh price into the equation too much. The problem is that they will judge a Panasonic/Pioneer plasma up against a Vizio in the same category. This gives the Vizio 'bonus' points for being ALOT cheaper to make up for its real lack of performance compared to the Panny/Pioneer models.

Same goes for Blu-ray players. The Magnavox gets bonus points for its price point which skews its performance ratings compared to the better models.

Collapse -
(NT) Yuo can add speakers to the list. John
by jcrobso / October 2, 2008 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Consumer Reports
Collapse -
The last time I took a glance at their speaker ratings, I
by NM_Bill / October 2, 2008 1:58 AM PDT

was amused that they used one criterium - accuracy. Certainly accuracy is of concern with speakers, but that one factor does not define a speaker sounding pleasant.

Read CR ratings when you need to buy a car or washer & dryer- their stock in trade type items. Some other areas, such as this, are not the center of their universe.

Collapse -
Consumer Reports is NOT biased, but over the years they
by NM_Bill / September 28, 2008 10:38 AM PDT

have progressively discontinued any thorough explanation of exactly what factors they considered most important in evaluating any product.

That lowers their ratings value to us, the public.

We cannot be left to make correct assumptions of how they proceeded.

Their performance comments are usually completely independent of the comments they may make regarding reliability or rate of repair.

We can only decipher a token of their assumptions. For instance, they consider automobiles to have to be for families, therefore all 2 door coupes lose one point relative to a 4 door.

Consumer Reports does not attempt to cover the entire waterfront of consumer products, but this is just one example of a ratings article which have no particular value to us.

Value CR for what they are most famous for with regular recurring reviews of certain mainline things.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?