by kmarchal / July 22, 2005 1:48 AM PDT
Constitution fo Iraq July 20 2005 PDF 14 pages

This is not right imo
first read page 2 (chaper 2 rights #1) then read
page 7 of 14 article 1 - 3
??????

This is from page 2
CHAPTER TWO: RIGHTS, DUTIES, AND PUBLIC AND PRIVATE FREEDOM RIGHTS
1. a. Iraqis are all equal before the law without regard to gender, opinion, belief, nationality, religion, sect, or origin. Discrimination on the bases of gender, nationality, religion sect, origin, or social position is forbidden. They [Iraqis] have the right to personal security, life, and liberty. Nobody may be deprived of his life or liberty except in accordance with law.
b. Equality of opportunity is guaranteed to all citizens in accordance with law.

from page 7 (read number 3) (how can article 1 exist wit the Iraq bill of rights?)

ARTICLE 1
1. Anyone who has Iraqi nationality is considered an Iraqi citizen, with all the rights and duties according to law.
2. An Iraqi may not be deprived of his nationality nor exiled or deported unless it is proven in a trial that he provided false essential information that resulted in his being granted nationality.
3. Any individual with another nationality (except for Israel) may obtain Iraqi nationality after a period of residency inside the borders of Iraq of not less than ten years for an Arab or twenty years for any other nationality, as long as he has good character and behavior, and has no criminal judgment against him from the Iraqi authorities during the time of his residency on the territory of the Iraqi republic.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Constitution fo Iraq
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Constitution fo Iraq
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I agree it is obscene
by MKay / July 22, 2005 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Constitution fo Iraq
Collapse -
It's a toughie, all right
by Angeline Booher / July 22, 2005 4:50 AM PDT

The font size was too small for me to read, so I will address what you provided in your post.

The exception for Israel certainly went against my grain.

However, I suspect it was included because of what they considered a necessity in order to draw the sects together. There has been ill will between them for a long time, and there is little chance of any success unless all can cooperate.

I wasn't particularly surprised by the terms of residence difference between Arabs and others.

I also noticed ".....against him from the Iraqi authorities during the time of his residency on the territory of the Iraqi republic.". Perhaps that means an Iraqi committing offenses elsewhere would not jeopardize him in Iraq. That could present a problem when another country wants to extradite an Iraqi.

However, I do not expect Iraq to have a democracy like the one under which we live. Free elections are a start, as is #1 in Article I. The rub could come with "under the law".The people might elect to have a theocracy as "under the law" is obtuse. Hopefully they will always have the right to speak without threats.

I wish them well.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
May be I was to quick to judge
by kmarchal / July 22, 2005 6:45 AM PDT

we did have a time when we would fight for the right to be free while denying them to other.

Ie. The Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, passed by the Senate on April 8, 1864, by the House on January 31, 1865, and ratified on December 6, 1865

So maybe in time, this will be corrected also.

Collapse -
According to my local newspaper
by gearup / July 22, 2005 6:52 AM PDT

of a few days ago there are parts of the Constitution which default to religious practices especially when concerned with the relationships between men and women.
If I remember the language was very non-ambivalent...it stated that the rules of the religious leaders concerning divorce etc. are to be adhered to by the courts depending on which sect those in contention belonged to.
So the seeds for theocracy are already planted and growing. On the other hand expecting anything else would have been non-realistic to the point of being delusional....

Collapse -
A case of "be careful what you wish for?"
by Josh K / July 22, 2005 6:52 AM PDT

The Bush Administration said its goal was a free Iraqi people, free to make their own choices as to how to govern themselves. They (and we) have to be ready for them to make some choices that we may find personally disagreeable or even offensive. We also have to keep in mind that a country that is anti-Israel is also not going to exactly love Israel's biggest ally.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.