General discussion

Constant Restart

Hi, my computer is constantly restarting now. I am running Win XP behind a router. The computer was running fine until I decided to do a restart because I hadn't done one in quite some time. Once I restarted, now it just continues to restart automatically. It gets to the Win XP Pro screen and then just restarts itself. I swapped out the CPU and power supply and it's still doing the same thing. I don't think it Sasser because it doesn't get beyond the Windows splash screen and I'm behind a router. Does anyone have any ideas? I have an AMD XP 2200+ CPU (now an AMD 1200) and originally a 450W Power supply (now a 350W PS).

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Constant Restart
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Constant Restart
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re:Constant Restart

Frankly, the reduction of power supply capability would be a red flag. 350 Watt power supplies are for very lightly equiped AMD boxes (one drive, little ram, no 3D card, one CDROM, nothing else.)

You may want to take this issue up with your repair person. The hardware is suspect.

Bob

- Collapse -
Re:Re:Constant Restart

Thanks. I'm normally the repair person, but I have a place I can go where I get all my hardware. They know my system pretty well and maybe they can help.

- Collapse -
I was too subtle.

The 350 Watt PSU is likely a source of the issue. Overtaxed PSUs are common in your issue along with bulging and failing motherboard capacitors.

A common response is "it should be enough Watts."

Bob

CNET Forums