General discussion

constant disconnection from internet especially messengers

So my problem is quite complicated and I desperately need someone that can give even a hint about how to fix this situation. Here goes...

I am hooked up to the net using Comcast cable. I share my net connection with 3 other people. We all have cords from are rooms which then run to a 3Com hub and then to a linkseys firewall and then to RCA router. For a few weeks now every time I get online (which I'm generally connected 24/7) I get booted off at random times in the day. It used to be in the afternoons/evenings. I can see that I'm getting kicked off because all my messenger programs shut down (aim, msn, and I've even tried yahoo). My internet goes out every now and then but the disconnection is so quick that I can refresh the page and be back on the net again. The messenger services boot me off anywhere from every 1-7 minutes. (for example I was booted off about 26 times in 3 hours the other day). This is happening to everyones system. My computer is running windows 2000 pro ... I have never had a problem like this and I really need to figure it out soon before I lose my sanity. Anyone have any clue to what would cause this or how to fix things.

Also note... I've googled this problem many times now and I found one girl who said she changed her MTU router setting from 1500 to 1456 and her problem was solved. My landlord (who's also a tech guy) did that but it never seemed to fix our problem. He also switched my cord into a different slot in the hub, but alas I am still getting booted off several times throughout the day.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: constant disconnection from internet especially messengers
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: constant disconnection from internet especially messengers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums

Forum Info