Mac OS forum

General discussion

Console Problems

by tleMega / October 9, 2007 8:13 AM PDT

I have been peering into the depths of my MBP, and have found numerous things. For instance, Console has numerous logs with things on it that the CPU must have initiated for I have no knowledge of it. I know how to delete the console.log files but I do not know how to clean up the system logs.

Plus, if I delete the logs, it says no logs have been created and none come up. But of course, I never mess with it so I don't know how it works. I just want to clean all of it out since the internal contents of my Mac have gotten quite unorganized. Anyone know how?

-BMF

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Console Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Console Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For me...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2007 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Console Problems

A trip to the command line. Since its UNIX at it's core I know I can rm such things without damage.

Bob

Collapse -
So you recommend just deleting the files?
by tleMega / October 9, 2007 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: For me...

I can't find the system logs though. I've only found the console logs in my library. And will the system create new logs anyway? Probably of course, but it didn't for me earlier. I restored the logs though.

Collapse -
For me, yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2007 8:21 AM PDT

I am writing about me. Others will have their own ways. Remember I'm from the days before CP/M and used many a command line so it's a snap to look for such things... 'the old fashioned way.'

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Okay...
by tleMega / October 9, 2007 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: For me, yes.
Collapse -
Console Logs
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 9, 2007 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Console Problems

you can delete them from the Console itself, using the Clear icon or you can leave you machine on 24/7 and allow the CRON routines to rotate and delete some of the logs.

This from the Daily CUPS log:
ruptime: no hosts in /var/rwho.

Rotating log files: system.log

Tue Oct 9 03:15:00 CDT 2007
Removing old log files:
Removing scratch and junk files:
Removing scratch fax files
msgs: /var/msgs/bounds: No such file or directory
Backing up NetInfo data
Checking subsystem status:

The fact that you can see the log files means that your internal contents are not "quite unorganized". Those logs are exactly where they are designed to be.

If you delete them, nothing untoward happens. A new set of logs gets created when something needs to be written, by the OS, into them.

P

Collapse -
When I use Clear,
by tleMega / October 9, 2007 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Console Logs

the files return back anyway as soon as I switch to another log. I've tried multiple times, but the Clear icon just wipes it away and puts the exact same thing back with the dates of previous days. It reloads the logs anyway. Any tips?

Collapse -
Interesting...
by tleMega / October 9, 2007 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: When I use Clear,

I have sifted through numerous subdividers and have found all the recorded Console logs in Console. So I'm going to get rid of those, but I still want to get rid of the System logs and all the other ones... Will it create a new log for me?

Apparently it's been loading older logs under Console, but they're still recent...

Collapse -
By the way, I seem to keep finding recovered files in my
by tleMega / October 9, 2007 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting...

trash bin that I did not delete and put there. This is like a routine for my machine. Power on, empty trash, get the Dashboard up and running, etc. Is it supposed to do this? I find lots of odd documents in it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?