The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Consistent file naming convention matters (to me)

by jojosho / August 14, 2006 8:46 AM PDT

I know that V is away, but let me point out for those of us using small-screened, weakly-developed (non-Apple) MP3 players: consistent file naming convention is important for navigation of multiple podcasts differing only by a date code. For example, 'BuzzCast...' files may not be alphabetized the same by some players as 'Buzzcast...' files. Picky, I know, but I didn't develop the folder/file software for my SanDisk Sansa m240. And, indeed, if I'm not careful (at least when T is at the controls) I'll be listening to Friday's podcast before Wednesday's, etc.

On a related rant, I like the date (or sequential serial number) first in the filename (Real Deal is good at this). Keeps things organized, even for weak devices...

Todd

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Consistent file naming convention matters (to me)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Consistent file naming convention matters (to me)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It screw up iPods too
by NewOrderrr / August 14, 2006 9:11 AM PDT

What drives me nuts is when podcasters keep mucking with the name of the podcast, adding 'mp3 version' or 'podcast' to the title. If you are downloading a podcast, you know it's a frikin' podcast. Please think about the naming before you START making a podcast, since many of us download the whole shebang from the beginning.

As far as dates, please start with the year, then month, then day.

My preference would be something like this:

BuzzCast 06/08/14 - Let Mad Dog make you happy
(2006 August 14th)
-or-
Win95 hacks - #853 - 32 bit colors!

Collapse -
I use the same date-in-filename convention...
by jojosho / August 14, 2006 12:10 PM PDT
In reply to: It screw up iPods too

Except I leave off the delimiters, so the 14th of August of 2006 is: 060814. Followed by some additional description, of course. I know that files can be sorted by creation date, but I often scan documents that are older than today (sometimes much older), so this works well to keep files chonologically ordered by original - paper - creation date (not the creation date of the - file - ).

Todd

PS - I did not know that small filename differences from day to day could foul even the iPod. Huh!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?