Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Considering upgrading my Bell South DSL service.

Almost a year ago I upgraded my internet service with Bell South from dial-up to their entry level DSL "Lite" internet service and once the change was made from dial-up to DSL; all I can say is there was no looking back. Just the other day I received an email from Bell South offering me the chance to upgrade my current DSL service from DSL "Lite" to the next level of DSL service; "Ultra".

Normally the upgrade would cost an additional $8.00 per month but under this offer since I have "Complete Choice" on my Bell South account they agreed to reduce the monthly cost of my "Complete Choice" package by $5.00 a month to offset the cost of making the change from DSL "Lite" to DSL "Ultra".

By doing so the cost for the DSL "Ultra" service will be an additional $3.00 per month instead of $8.00 per month. Details of both plans are listed below and I'd like to know if I decided to make the change from DSL "Lite" to DSL "Ultra" would it be worth it or not. Would I notice a dramatic increase in my DSL speed? The information which is listed below came directly off of Bell South's website.

DSL Lite - Maximum downstream - 256Kbps
Maximum upstream - 128Kbps

DSL Ultra - Maximum downstream - 1.5 Mbps
Maximum upstream - 256Kbps

Email storage capacity/DSL Lite - 10MB
Email storage capacity/DSL Ultra - 250MB

I have a Dell Dimension 1300 desktop PC set up in one bedroom connected to a Bell South DSL modem. There is also a Linksys 802.11g wireless router; ( Model #WRT54G ) installed in the same bedroom which allows me to use a Dell Inspiron 1300 notebook which has a wireless card installed throughout the house.

The speed on the notebook most of the time which I keep set up in the living room ranges from 36.0 Mbps to 54.0 Mbps. Bell South has told me if I make the change from "Lite" to "Ultra" I will notice an increase in my DSL speed 6 times faster than before. Those of you who know more about this than I do can look at the numbers and tell me if what Bell South's telling me is correct or not. Several times today my DSL connection dropped and the weather was nice today. I'd have to go back to Dell's wireless utility and reconnect. What could cause me to lose my connection other than bad weather causing a power interuption?

Based upon all of this; would it be worth me moving from DSL "Lite" to DSL "Ultra" for the extra $3.00 per month? If I do make the change would I notice that big of a difference in my DSL speed on the Dell notebook which is located a good distance from the other end of the house where the DSL modem and Linksys router are both located to justify making the change in the service or should I just leave things as they are right now because I probably wouldn't notice that much of an increase in my DSL speed on the Dell notebook which I use most of the time and is also located quite a distance away from both the DSL modem and the Linksys router in the house?

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
01/15/07

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Considering upgrading my Bell South DSL service.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Considering upgrading my Bell South DSL service.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: ADSL upgrade

In reply to: Considering upgrading my Bell South DSL service.

Steve,

I'd say you'll surely notice an increase of Internet speed from 250 kB/s to 1.5 Mb/s. You might distrust any company wanting to sell you something you don't need, but in this case Bell is right with saying it's much faster. You'll notice it in the speed a page is shown, eamil-attachments coming in faster, the time needed for downloads (such as Windows update, or mp3's you buy) and a much better quality of streaming video.

Let me remark that I find 256 kB/s really slow for an ADSL-connection, and 1.5 mediocre. But that might be Dutch standards, not Biloxi ones. My ISP (tiscali.nl) offers 4 speeds to choose from: 4, 6, 12 and 20 Mb/second. The basic one (4 Mb/s) is 15 euro (20 USD) a month.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: ADSL upgrade

In reply to: Re: ADSL upgrade

Besides the two plans I mentioned in my previous post Bell South also offers two other DSL plans that offer more speed. I went ahead and listed all four DSL plans currently being offered by Bell South in my area along with their plans prices per month.

Bell South Lite-256Kbps/down & 128Kbps/up - $24.95 USD mo.
Bell South Ultra-1.5Mbps/down & 256Kbps/up - $32.95 USD mo.
Bell South Xtreme-3Mbps/down & 384Kbps/up - $37.95 USD mo.
Bell South Xtreme 6.0-6Mbps/down & 512Kbps/up - $42.95 USD mo.
Email capacity on Lite and Ultra - 10MB and 250MB
Email capacity on Xtreme and Extreme 6.0 - 250MB on each

To download a 1MB photo file; according to Bell South's website it takes this long to download a photo file of that size if you had one of their four DSL plans; details are below.

DSL Lite - 33 sec.
DSL Ultra - 6 sec.
DSL Xtreme - 3 sec.
DSL Xtreme 6.0 - 1.5 sec.

About the question which I raised in my previous post? Would you consider it worth $3.00 more a month to go from Bell South's "Lite" DSL service to Bell South's "Ultra" DSL service? Would I notice enough of a difference in my DSL speed if I moved from "Lite" to "Ultra" for the extra $3.00 a month?

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
01/16/07

Collapse -
Re: ADSL speed

Steve,

I'd say the increase from 256 to 1500 is worth $3.
It's far less clear that the increase of 1500 to 3000 is worth $5.

That mostly depends on what you do with your Internet. If you're a heavy on-line gamer the additional speed (both upload and download) might mean the difference between winning and dying occasionally. If your wife and children are heavy downloaders using the same connection as you do while you browse, it might make a difference for you browsing speed. If none of those apply, you better start with 1500.

Kees

Collapse -
Steve, Sounds Like A Deal To Me...

I am currently using a 1.5 Mbps account on my home computer and it's plenty fast enough for most home users...Plus, in my opinion, $3.00 isn't much money for the increase..

Just a comparison for you to use... My current home account cost's me $29.95 per month... The cheaper, 750 Kbps account costs $14.95.. So in my case, increasing the speed by double would cost a user $15.00.. You're getting a lot more than that.

Go for it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Steve, Sounds Like A Deal To Me...

In reply to: Steve, Sounds Like A Deal To Me...

Someone asked what I use my DSL service for. I primarily surf the web and send and receive emails. I don't play games online; I have attempted to view some videos online but they seem to load too slow so I don't bother. I don't download music online either.

I hope to get into digital photography soon where I'll be able to take pics and email them to family and friends. Most of my time spent on this Dell notebook computer using my DSL service is spent surfing the web and sending and receiving emails. Thanks for your post.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
01/16/07

Collapse -
dsl ultra

In reply to: Re: Steve, Sounds Like A Deal To Me...

Steve

Dealing with AT&T and Bell South over the years I have to ask.

Is this a promotional for x amount of months

Or will this be the price from now on

Sounds like a good deal for Bell South

Ray

Collapse -
Re: (NT) dsl ultra

In reply to: dsl ultra

That's a good question. I'll check that out and get back with you.
Thanks for your post.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
01/16/07

Collapse -
Curious

In reply to: Considering upgrading my Bell South DSL service.

How is it that you can get more speed on the output than you have on the input?

DSL Lite - Maximum downstream - 256Kbps

The speed on the notebook most of the time which I keep set up in the living room ranges from 36.0 Mbps to 54.0 Mbps.

Collapse -
Re: Curious

In reply to: Curious

That information; the downstream vs the upstream as I stated in a previous post came directly off of Bell South's website on their DSL description page listing information on all of their DSL plans. DSL is all new to me; I have no idea what those numbers mean but about those other numbers; the 36.0 Mbps and the 54.0 Mbps; in the lower right hand corner of my notebook's screen there is an icon which looks similar to signal bars on a cell phone; I can simply touch it at anytime during the day and it will show me that information. Right now it says 48.0 Mbps. Earlier today I lost my signal totally twice; but after opening up the wireless utility I was able to reconnect and get my signal back.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
01/16/07

Collapse -
Re: speed

In reply to: Curious

The 36, 48, 54 Mb/s (depending on the distance and the signal strength)is the speed between the laptop and the router in your home. That's rather fast, faster anyway than ADSL, so it's not a limiting factor when using the Internet. It's only slow compared to a wired network which is 100 Mb/s (or 1000 if you pay more for the hardware). You'll notice the difference when you transfer files between different computers on a home network. But if you don't have a home network, it isn't important at all.

The download speed 1,5 Mb/s is the maximum number of bits the ISP sends to you across the adsl-connection. The upload speed 128 kB/s is the maximum number of bits you can send to the ISP across the adsl-connection. The idea behind the difference is that you send little when browsing or downloading (just a link) and receive much (all those pages and pictures), so receiving should be faster. Right they are. And sorry for the occasional mail with a 3 Mb attachment you send, that takes some time.
The "a" in adsl, by the way, stands for asymmetric, meaning that the speed to and the speed from the ISP are different. There's a sdls also (I leave it to you to figure out what that means).

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: speed

As to where I have a home network or not my brother's IT guy flew to Biloxi last year with 2 new Dell computers; a Dimension 3100 and an Inspiron 1300 notebook along with a router and a DSL modem; wires; cables, etc. and set everything up for me in the house.

The Dell Dimension 3100 is set up in a back bedroom along with a Bell South DSL modem and a Linksys router which allows me to use the Dell notebook wirelessly throughout the house. I'm checking the speed on the notebook right now; it reads 36.0Mbps with a signal strength of "low".

Now if I turn on the Dell desktop which I don't do very much I'll get a signal strength of "excellent" and a speed of 100.0 Mbps. If you've read all of my previous posts in this thread Bell South offered me an upgrade on my DSL service from "Lite" to "Ultra" for $3.00 more a month. Should I consider going for it or not? If I decide to make the upgrade in DSL service will I also notice a dramatic increase in my DSL speed on the notebook which is what I use the majority of the time?

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
01/16/07

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: speed

My answers:
"Should I consider going for it or not?'
Yes

"If I decide to make the upgrade in DSL service will I also notice a dramatic increase in my DSL speed on the notebook which is what I use the majority of the time?"
Yes

See for yourself.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.