Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Considering upgrade

by ib1-2 / March 4, 2007 1:02 AM PST

I am considering upgrading XP to home premium and it was suggested installing vista in a second partition giving a choice of OS when booting up. Is this the consensus of others who have upgraded and once everything is working as it should do you just delete the original XP partition?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Considering upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Considering upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Up-grading
by Eggman / March 4, 2007 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: Considering upgrade

If you are going to up-grade to vista. May I suggest that you run the compatable test first.
You might need to install a new vidio card.
Anothe problem I've run into if you have a scanner does the mfg. offer updated drivers. The same with your printer. When XP came out it took HP for one, 4 months to offer up-dated drivers. This time they state for quite a few printers & scanners sorry your product is too old & we will not be offering updates.
Plus if you duel boot which is fine except everytime you boot into XP Vista will deleate all the System restore points it has created.
I'd suggest reading a lot more posts here as to problems encountered by others & give suppliers a chance to offer up-dates to printers & scanners & other programs you might want to use.

Collapse -
Eggman
by ib1-2 / March 5, 2007 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: Up-grading

Thank you for the info. I have done the compatability test and only my aged scanner doesn't seem compatible, but as I'm replacing my scanner & printer for an all in one jobby this shouldn't be a problem.

Collapse -
if your computer can take it go for it
by benjiko / March 5, 2007 12:29 PM PST
In reply to: Eggman

make sure you have 2 gig+ of memory, that seems to be the most recommended. i have 1 gig of memory and i can see why i would need 2 (planning to do that and my vid card upgraded too, came with the computer and it sucks lol). expect to get problems with some things, but if you want you can consider yourself a tester for microsoft and send them informed problems that you have that they can start working on. if you just want it to go well and not mess with the few but appearantly bothersome problems then wait a few months. otherwise i say if your computer can dish it out, then go right ahead.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?