Laptops forum

General discussion

Considering sending damaged Dell laptop back to my bro.

I've been using a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop which my brother's company purchased for me to use over 2 years ago, I want to stress use and not keep although he never did tell me he would ever want it back but since I dropped it back in January 2008 and killed it's monitor at some point in time he might want it back. I've already obtained an estimate from Dell on what they would charge to fix it, Dell's estimate in my opinion was too much considering the fact that the laptop is over 2 years old. I also tried buying a used Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop off of Ebay for a possible monitor switch out but that didn't work out as planned besides it was kind of risky anyway.

So now I'm considering shipping the damaged laptop back to my bro's company but before I do what could I do or what should I do to wipe the laptop's hard drive clean of my personal data before I ship it back short of removing the hard drive from the computer altogether? I have some emails stored on the computer, some Quicken, not much else. If I went ahead and deleted that information first and then shipped it back could the IT guy who gets the computer back go into the computer and be able to retrieve all of the information which I deleted?

Or if I decided to go ahead and remove the computer's hard drive first before I shipped it back, once it got back in my bro's hands with the original hard drive now gone could he turn it over to his company's IT guy to see if he, the IT guy could restore any personal information I had stored on the computer up until the time I dropped it? Could the IT guy pop in a new hard drive and be able to bring up all of my data which is presently stored on the laptop's existing hard drive? I won't go into more details except to ask what my options are for me to protect my information on the laptop's present hard drive before I decide to ship the laptop back to the bro's company.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Considering sending damaged Dell laptop back to my bro.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Considering sending damaged Dell laptop back to my bro.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We've covered this in

In reply to: Considering sending damaged Dell laptop back to my bro.

Our Computer Help forum. There are programs to wipe drives clean.

Try searching the forum for posts about DBAN.

Collapse -
Re: We've covered this in

In reply to: We've covered this in

I'll check that out but just to let you know this is the first time I have ever brought up the subject of wiping a HD clean. Would wiping the HD clean also remove all the programs that came installed on the computer before I got it as well or just my personal data that I'm concerned about? So the HD can be wiped cleaned rather than me having to remove it? If I removed the existing HD could the IT guy pop in another one once he got the computer back and be able to retrieve everything that was stored on the original HD including my personal data?

Collapse -
Sorry.

In reply to: Re: We've covered this in

I noted it because others have asked before. All you may need to know is a name to search the forums and benefit from the prior discussions.

Collapse -
Re: Sorry.

In reply to: Sorry.

Well if you'd give me a name I'll do a search. To safeguard my private information would it be best for me to just physically remove the existing HD from the computer first before I pack it up and ship it to the bro? Now I'm sure you can answer this one since you have previously stated you have repaired tons of computers at your repair shop, once I open up the back of the computer exposing the HD, is it just a matter of unscrewing the HD and taking it out, does it snap out or will I have to cut it out?

Collapse -
Steve,

In reply to: Re: Sorry.

You may have missed the name in my first reply. Here it is -> "Try searching the forum for posts about DBAN."

Collapse -
Very simple answer to this part

In reply to: Re: We've covered this in

"If I removed the existing HD could the IT guy pop in another one once he got the computer back and be able to retrieve everything that was stored on the original HD including my personal data?"

NO

This would be like returning an empty box to someone to replace a box they sent you with stuff in it. Nothing in the original box (it's now in your hands) ends up in the replacement. As for wiping the hard drive clean, it does remove all programs and your data. This does not mean it's impossible that someone with the right equipment cannot glean some of it off the drive if they really wanted to. It takes an understanding of the nature of residual magnetism to envision how this can be done.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.