General discussion

Considering purchasing an LCD with DVI input.

I'm in the market for a new desktop PC and soon afterwards I hope to upgrade my recently purchased 17" flat screen CRT monitor to a nicer 19" LCD monitor having both analog as well as DVI inputs; so I've been told by others to consider.

For such an LCD monitor to work properly must I also be sure that my new PC also has the proper video card already installed that will support a DVI connection?
If my new PC won't will the new LCD monitor work just fine using analog connections or should I spend the extra bucks on a video card having DVI inputs?

I'm not into gaming; just email; web surfing; word processing and personal finance. I have been told that LCD's are much easier on the eyes than CRT's; one of several reasons why I would like to eventually upgrade from a CRT to an LCD.

Big Steve
End Of Message
02/12/05

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Considering purchasing an LCD with DVI input.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Considering purchasing an LCD with DVI input.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
As long as the LCD monitor has

both analog and digital inputs it will work just fine with the analog. I know of one person with a 19 inch Dell that tried the digital and disliked some aspects of the way some of things were displayed at normally visited sites, that she went back to analog.

- Collapse -

Ray:

So for my basic needs I shouldn't have to shell out the extra bucks for a video card having a DVI input?
Thanks for your comments.

Big Steve
End Of Reply
02/12/05

- Collapse -
Video card with DVI

Steve,

If you plan on purchasing a Desktop with Integrated Graphics (on board video), it would be advantageous to check that the motherboard also has a slot for an AGP or PCI-Express Video Card that you could add later. The current trend is PCI-Express and some of the leader factories like Dell, Gateway, Sony, etc...that do show a graphics card in their specs start with the low price Radeon X300SE PCI-Express card.

You can buy that card with DVI/TVout for $65 and install yourself.

- Collapse -
Also...

can purchase NVidia Geforce PCI-Express PCX 5300 with DVI/TV-out for $68, model 6200 TurboCache PCI-Exp with DVI/TV-out for $70.

If AGP, the GeForce 5200, 128MB can be as low as $47, or the GeForce 5500 for as low as $66, both with DVI.

- Collapse -

Well I've been taking a look at a Vector SX-V by Velocity Micro. As to what kind of motherboard it has; I'll have to check. I did talk to a sales rep at Velocity Micro yesterday who advised me to get a better video card but to go with the integrated audio; said it would be fine for my basic needs. Thanks for your comments.

Big Steve
End Of Reply
02/12/05

- Collapse -
onboard

my sony 19-inch monitor works just fine with the Intel onboard GMA 900 graphics.

CNET Forums

Forum Info