Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Connectivity problems after installing Windows Updates

After installing MS Windows Updates of 2008-07-09 (today) I couldn't get my mail via Outlook, my Skype and Maxthon browser didn't work either (no connectivity to the internet).

I have restored my Windows XP to the previous date and the problem was solved. Now they offer again to install those updates but I'm afraid to do that. Does anybody know anything about this problem?

Here is the list of the updates with links to their pages:

- Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=119620

- Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (KB953432)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FD072A64-F1D5-4DA9-B19C-1AFBF0E651E8&displaylang=en

- Update For Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB953465)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8F008AFB-F6A9-42B2-8472-279623063DFB&displaylang=en

- Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2008 (KB890830)
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=39987

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connectivity problems after installing Windows Updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connectivity problems after installing Windows Updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The last time this happened to

In reply to: Connectivity problems after installing Windows Updates

Collapse -
Yes, I use Zone Alarm.

In reply to: The last time this happened to

Hi R. Proffitt,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Quote: "I'd try MalwareBytes free scanner from http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and tell us what you find."

I already use several antimalware applications and feel a bit reluctant to install one more...

Quote: "Do you use Zone Alarm?"

Yes, I use Zone Alarm.

Collapse -
(NT) Share what you use and see that next link.

In reply to: Yes, I use Zone Alarm.

Collapse -
Same problem exactly:

Re problem described by Nikita:
I have had exactly the same problem after the Microsoft auto-update on 9 July 2008 which installed the 4 same KBs.
So I think we can assume/confirm that these updates have caused the problem.
My system is XP SP2 and it includes ZoneAlarm. I could not diagnose the problem in the down state, everything looked OK however no IE or Outlook access to internet.
Like Nikita I restored to 8 July and system is OK. Don't know what is happening and I suppose it will come back when auto-update goes again - c'est la vie!

Collapse -
Recent update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (KB953432)

In reply to: Same problem exactly:

How come I can't dig up any other dirt on this update where it has caused issues? Are we sure it's related to this issue and if it was I think we would see other posts out here.

Just a thought. I've not applied the patch yet.

Collapse -
I've applied the patch:

In reply to: Recent update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (KB953432)

I now have this update KB953432 on two PC's and have not had any issues over the past hour. Anyone else out there have any info on the patch causing issues?

Collapse -
July 9 MS updates - Outlook & restore

In reply to: I've applied the patch:

after MS XP and Outlook updates Wednesday, my laptop could still connect to internet but I could no longer receive or send emails through Outlook. Additionally, I cannot system restore to any point before July 9 that I have tried.

My husband's PC which also received the automatic updates was unaffected AFTER locking up during updates (my laptop is on wireless router through his PC to Comcast cable high speed internet connection).

Comcast told me it was a Microsoft Outlook issue; Microsoft acted like they knew nothing about this, but for $49 they could help me with it.

Any ideas on what I should try first?

Collapse -
I'd start a new discussion.

In reply to: July 9 MS updates - Outlook & restore

If the changes we talk about in this discussion don't apply. Many installed Zone Alarm, complain about this but didn't tell they ran that.

Collapse -
Pretty sure.

In reply to: Recent update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (KB953432)

It happened to me as well this morning. Same update, and I also use ZoneAlarm, the Pro version but that makes no difference, it affects the free version users as well.

When I investigated, (after System Restore to get my internet back), I ran straight into articles quoting the ZA effect

So I would say its a done deal.

Mark

Collapse -
I don't use ZA.

In reply to: Pretty sure.

Maybe ZA is the problem with that update then. I've been okay because I don't use ZA.

Collapse -
That's it then,

In reply to: I don't use ZA.

Collapse -
Microsoft Update KB951748 clashes with ZoneAlarm

In reply to: That's it then,

Re my earlier posting and the later ones:
If anyone looking has not caught up with the situation yet, it seems clear that Microsoft Windows auto-update on 9 July 2008: KB951748 clashes with ZoneAlarm and between them they kill off your internet access.
It appears that Zonelabs is looking into this, see:
http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=access&message.id=33534
The best get around for now seems to be to uninstall KB951748 and make sure it doesn't find its way back in.
Meanwhile we wait for a fix.

Collapse -
Update KB951748 relates to major DNS security problem

In reply to: Microsoft Update KB951748 clashes with ZoneAlarm

Just to add:
Update KB951748 relates to major DNS security problem which is reported in the news. So if you need to avoid it at present due to problems with ZoneAlarm, then you will need to look out for the problem resolution and get that implemented when available.
See:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms08-037.mspx

Collapse -
This appears to be resolved

In reply to: Update KB951748 relates to major DNS security problem

Collapse -
ZoneAlarm version 7.0.483 solved the conflict

On Tuesday Microsoft released its patch for DNS as part of its regular security update cycle.

However, many found that as soon as they applied the patch, known as KB951748, they could no longer go online.

BBC News website reader Chris Rogers applied the Microsoft patch to his own and his wife's computer but discovered that afterwards neither machine could get at e-mail or the web. His anti-virus software could no longer update either.

The problems only affected those with machines running Windows XP or 2000.

A spokesman for Microsoft said PC owners were not contacting it about any problems the update caused.

Mr Rogers found restoring the PC's operating systems back to before the security update was installed, restored access to the net.

He, and many others, traced the problem to a conflict with the ZoneAlarm firewall.

As news of the problems spread, CheckPoint software, which owns ZoneAlarm, issued a statement about the problems.

While it prepared a fix for the fix, Checkpoint advised users to uninstall the Microsoft security update or temporarily lower the firewall settings to "medium".

Late on 9 July CheckPoint released an update to ZoneAlarm, version 7.0.483, that solved the conflict.

Mr Rogers said installing it and re-booting his machines fixed all the problems.

He said he could understand Microsoft being reticent with details about the patch given its sensitivity.

"But," he added "it would seem reasonable for [Microsoft] to test their patch against what is probably the most popular software firewall."

Source (BBC News): http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7499260.stm

Collapse -
Solution to KB951748 and ZoneAlarm

In reply to: ZoneAlarm version 7.0.483 solved the conflict

This one's moved quickly.
From the outbreak of problems yesterday (or the day before), to Checkpoint advising on the problem and then issuing a fix today (or yesterday) - that's not bad. I wish that happened with all software problems!
I suppose one could say that the problem should not have hit the users in the first place (Microsoft and Checkpoint), but life's not perfect.
Thanks for kicking it off Nikita. This forum certainly helped me and I guess many others.
John

Collapse -
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)

In reply to: ZoneAlarm version 7.0.483 solved the conflict

I have updated my ZoneAlarm but now I see that I don't have that notorious Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748) installed on my system.

I suppose I should download and install it manually now, shouldn't I? If yes, could somebody give me a link where I can download Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748) as I tried but haven't managed to find it.

Nikita

Collapse -
I would wait

In reply to: Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)

for Windows Updates on your system to notify you it is available.

If you do want to do it manually, use your Windows Updates browser in Start > All Programs > Windows Updates, (at the top). That will take you to the Windows Update site where your system will be scanned and any updates needed will be offered to you.

Mark

Collapse -
update with zone alarm

In reply to: I would wait

same with me but i had the offer of installing zone alarm fresh and not use my existing version and it worked with the m\soft update
rogall12000

Collapse -
My system won't restore

Hi All,
I'm surprised there is not more info about this conflict or that more people aren't screaming. I was jerked around on the phone with Verizon internet tech help last night for 40 minutes before they told me it was a Micrsft conflict software issue. They passed me on to Micsft who kept me on hold for 40 minutes with elevatore music. Nice. So I tried to go back and restore my windows Xp system to any time before July 9 and it wouldn't let me. I went back a week--no more dates were bolded on the choice calender. Anyone have any ideas why I can't do a system restore on my Fujitsu 2004 laptop? I never had to use it before now. Are there some settings I should check? I'm not too computer savvy so would appreciate any help getting back up on line. Thanks,

Collapse -
System Restore not working.

In reply to: My system won't restore

There could be a number of reasons, ranging from virus damage to settings.

Your Verizon ISP was quite right in what they said. This isn't an ISP issue, but a problem with your computer, and that is out of their hands.

See if my post below helps. To check the Properties of your internet connection do this;

1] Goto Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet connections > Network connections.

2] Find your internet connection you use to connect to the internet and highlight it. Right click it and select Properties.

3] In the new window under the General tab, highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and click the Properties button.

4] In the new window, make a note of all the settings and numbers currently showing. It may be best to take a Print Screen, and paste that into your MS Paint utility, (Start > All programs > Accessories).

5] If "Obtain an IP address automatically" is not selected, select it now.

6] If "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is not selected, select it now. Click OK/OK.

The mouse may display the eggtimer for a while. If your connection is broadband, and if this is what got changed by ZoneAlarm and the update, then that is what solved it for me. I hope it works for you.

Make sure you download ZoneAlarm's update patch from http://www.zonelabs.com

Why make a note of those settings? If that doesn't work, then you need to reset those settings.

When you said system restore wouldn't let you, what does that mean? What error messages are displayed?

What do you use as anti-virus and anti-spyware scanners?

Mark

Collapse -
similar problem

In reply to: My system won't restore

see my other entry for this morning (7/13) - I, too, cannot do a system restore to any date before 7/9. I've got internet access, but can't receive or send emails through Outlook.

Collapse -
Just a (final?) update, further problems incurred today.

Having installed this MS update KB951748 yesterday, (Wednesday July 9th), and my broadband connection stopped immediately on rebooting the computer, I System Restored to the restore point set by the updates immediately before it was installed.

That worked, I got my connection back.

I then found what many others here and elsewhere did, that this was related to ZoneAlarm, but I had not been to ZA's web site for a patch.

Today, I booted up the system and the connection worked well. I then installed the two other Windows Updates I had been offered at the same time as KB951748, ie a Windows Defender update and the Windows Malicious Tool. I deliberately unselected KB951748.

Within a couple of minutes my connection went dead again.

I was convinced this could not be related to KB951748 and ZA, so I started diagnosing the problem.

1] First I set ZA's internet access firewall to Medium, (just in case it was still ZA). Rebooted, but no effect.

2] I System Restored to today's restore point created before installing the two other updates mentioned above. No effect, still no connection.

3] I disabled ZA completely. No effect.

4] I checked my broadband network connection's Status and the IP address seemed correct.

5] I checked the broadband connection's Properties, and then the Internet Protocol TCP/IP Properties and found that the option "Obtain DNS server address automatically" had been de-selected and instead, "Use the following DNS server addresses" had been selected.

6] I changed that back to "Obtain DNS server address automatically", and made sure the top option, "Obtain an IP address automatically" was also selected, then OK/Applied out.

That solved the problem for me, and I got my broadband connection back. I was then able to download ZA's updated file and install it. So it seemed that the effect of the update yesterday was still there.

Through this process I had, for the 2nd time, uninstalled these Windows Updates, so I am about to re-install them again. I am nervous! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
How do I Bypass the windows update

How do I bypass "The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool" ?

I am having the SAME problem~ How do I turn off or stop this from happening again?

After installing MS Windows Updates of 2008-07-09 (today) I couldn't get my mail via Outlook, didn't work either (no connectivity to the internet).

I have restored my Windows XP to the previous date and the problem was solved. Now they offer again to install those updates but I'm afraid to do that. Does anybody know anything about this problem

Collapse -
Do you have ZoneAlarm firewall installed?

In reply to: How do I Bypass the windows update

If so, the fix is easy. See the other posts in this thread and you will see a visit to http://www.zonelabs.com offers an update patch to fix the ZoneAlarm clash with the Windows Update. After that, you can install the Windows Updates without poblems.

If you do not have ZoneAlarm, this seems to be a different issue, and you would do better to create your own thread and give details of your system and the problem, including any error messages.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
July 9 updates - Outlook email & system restore problems

In reply to: Do you have ZoneAlarm firewall installed?

see posts 9 and 20 for description of my very similar problem - use XP Home Edition 2002, don't use Zone Alarm (use Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2008), still can connect to internet, but lost Outlook email send/receive ability on 7/9, and cannot do a system restore to a point before 7/9.

any ideas?

Collapse -
This does affect non Zone Alarm users.

In reply to: July 9 updates - Outlook email & system restore problems

I have confirmed killed connections with Norton and maybe a few other titles.

-> Fix! Head back to stock XP SP2 with Microsoft's Firewall to get it working.

-> Install new fixed version(s) of your protection software. If you paid for said software, make the call. I can assure you that they are getting calls.
Bob

Collapse -
Lost connectivity with internet thru wireless connection.

The same thing happened to me and I have to go to add and delete programs and delete the SP 3 update. The problem was solved by itself when the SP 3 was deleted and Windows was restored to Sp2.
There was no way to make the wireless connection work with SP3.
What is happening with Microsoft? Lately the can not do anything wright. Thanks that I have an iMac also. They do everything automatic and NO PROBLEMA.
I use Windows only for a few chores but everything else I do on my Mac. I cannot stand Windows.

Collapse -
I have similar restart problem after win xp update. No ZA.

i am experiencing similar problem of automatically reboot of my office system after connecting to internet (after 1 or 2 minutes). Unchecked autoreboot option in mycomputer and found BSOD. No Zone alarm on my system. recently i chose to update windows automatically after a long time( from 1 year updates off and no reboot problems). May be the problem due to updates. i will try with restore and come back...,

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.