Computer Help forum

General discussion

Connectivity issue...

Parents computer. Don't have all the stats but its an Athlon 1800, Soyo Motherboard, XP Pro, not sure of other specifics. Hooked it up to a router so they can have theirs running on the internet at the same time my brother's is (which is why Cox doesn't want to help us). Brother's computer has no issues with the Internet. Parent's computer will lose connectivity (recent problem, they've been up and running in this configuration for about a year now) and will connect when you reboot it. Tried different ports on two different routers, so it looks like the routers and the internet are fine. Tried mutliple cables with same problem. Don't think it's the cables. Tried multiple NIC cards, same problem. Loaded AVG and Ad-Aware (since they didn't have either Silly) and completely cleaned up their PC. Ran all XP updates (including SP2). Same problem. Tried NICs in two different slots to make sure I didn't have a bad slot on the motherboard. No viruses, no spyware, no known hardware issues. Anyone have any idea what I might be missing? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connectivity issue...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connectivity issue...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Connectivity issue...

In reply to: Connectivity issue...

whenever I change connection hardware I need to reboot the modem so it can recognize the new connection from the computer. perhaps the modem is confused if it is trying to talk to 2 different connections? just a guess. did you reboot the modem? - fj

Collapse -

Does this mean you lose the ability to double-click on internet explorer and surf, or do u lose connectivity altogether? Dialup or DSL?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Connectivity issue...

A) (Answer to a previous question) I have rebooted the modem and this has never been an issue in the past. Just started happening recently.

B) (Answer to this question) It is a Cable modem connection. Cable into the modem, modem into the router, router into the two computers.

The computer (in question) does not lock up, you just lose the ability to surf the internet or check e-mail (in either Outlook Express, or Outlook) and you can't ping anything either, unless you reboot. The second computer on this router does not have any problems at all and they had both been running trouble free for about a year in this configuration. As I mentioned earlier, I have replaced every piece of "network" equipment between the modem and the motherboard (NIC, cable, router) and none of them seem to be fixing the problem. The computer is virus and spyware free. It is a completely up-to-date (hyphenated?) Windows XP Pro computer. You must send help quickly. My mom is trying to talk my dad into a Mac. Happy

Collapse -

Collapse -

Check the TCP/IP settings both when still connected and when connection has been lost. Compare with other computer.
See http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/ for details and suggested ways of testing.

Hope this helps, and let us know. It's an interesting problem.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.