Question

Connectivity for replacing Optical to Super in a 2008 MB

Hello folks, I have been researching SuperDrives for my Jan 2008 A1181 Dual Core. There seem to be 3 main compatable models; GSAS10N, UJ-857C, and UJ-867A. I know they must be capped at 8xDVD and I want Dual layer ability. The UJ867A by Panasonic seems to fit what I want. Here are my 2 ?s.

1. Is the Panasonic 867A (Nov 2010) 9.5mm the best choice?

2. SATA or PATA? I know SATA is a bit faster but is that what's in there already? The 2010 new Super i am looking at is PATA, is the current Optical a SATA? And should I just try to find a SATA UJ-857C in good shape?

I know somewhere someone has already asked smthg similar but by page 20 and the CNet search yielded no answers.

Thank You for any help!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Connectivity for replacing Optical to Super in a 2008 MB
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Connectivity for replacing Optical to Super in a 2008 MB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Why not go to Macsales.com
- Collapse -
That is the heart of the whole problem. SuperDrive limbo

I have been there. I have watched about 6 videos and 30 sites including Amazon and EBay to view over 300 different drives dating from mid '07 to current. There are 3 (so far) types that claim to be OEM replacement Supers for the already installed Optical. Some claim the replacement is SATA and Some claim PATA all for the exact model I have.

Removing the current drive and looking at what's in there is an option but the SATAs and PATAs both claim to offer the adapting cable to utilize the other format.

I have been building and configuring computers for 22 years. From the old Pizza box desktops to UU19 racks and this is the craziest thing I've ever run accross.

It's a A1181, Feb 2008, MB402LL/A, MacBook 4.1, Dual Core 2.1, currently running Snow Leopard.
How hard should this be? All three types listed in my first post claim to be OEM. This is a crapshoot. If i can't get specific info to buy the drive (ranging from $25 to $200) I'm just going to throw a dart and see where it lands.

Thanks for the response so far, I do appreciate it. I'm just frustrated.

- Collapse -
This is the one for your machine.
- Collapse -
I know that. It's the EIDE version of the 10N

Same version, the 10N, as a new EIDE on Amazon for $50 from Panasonic which claims to be OEM brand. There are 3 model types and two connectivity standards for the exact same model. I understand OEM can be several different companies due to supply chain issues. It's the 2 connectivity standards that claim to be original for the exact same model I question.

Any thanks, I know Mercury. They are quality. Just twice the price.

Thanks, cheers!

CNET Forums