HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

connections on SONY (sound delay)

by Gettinthebug / February 22, 2014 7:25 PM PST

So i have a Sony TV, Sony Blu ray an X box and just bought a Sony sound bar. I also have a Sky box

The Sky box is HDMI'd into the TV port 1
The Blu ray id HDMI'd into the TV port 2
The X box is connected via the audio/vid in analogue
The TV is connected to the sound bar via optical in - out cable.

It all works brilliantly except for the Blu ray which has a time lag on the sound. The Sound bar has an advanced settings menu item for switching 'on' when this happens but I've tried doing that and it seems to have no effect. I notice there are other audio outs on the tv (for eg a USB audio out). Would using this instead of the optical to connect the sound bar make any difference???
help!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connections on SONY (sound delay)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connections on SONY (sound delay)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
All makes/models please; switcher as fix
by Pepe7 / February 23, 2014 12:52 AM PST

If you truly want help, you need to also provide all makes/model numbers. Hopefully you are aware by now that these components often differ in their functionality/options/ports/etc.

Before we know that though, this is why I often avoid soundbars and stick with a traditional AV receiver. Even a lower end receiver has what we usually need to avoid the nonsense you are experiencing. E.g. ample inputs & audio delay adjustment settings

My 'recipe'. FWIW, Some sort of audio switcher might help/may be required if the soundbar lacks inputs- which they often do.

Skybox (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in HDTV)

HDTV (digital optical out) --> (digital optical in) 3x1 or 2x1 digital optical switcher (can be manual or remote controlled switch)

Xbox (Analog out) --> (analog in) HDTV

Blu Ray player (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) HDTV
"" "" (digital optical out) --> (digital optical in) digital optical switcher

Digital optical switcher (digital optical out) --> (digital optical in) Sony soundbar

Example of manual & remote controlled switchers. $15 would get your foot in the door Wink

manual switch- http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-SW100-Digital-Selector-Compatible/dp/B000812QC6/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

remote version- http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-TOSLINK-Digital-Optical-Switcher/product-reviews/B00G188Z7A/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R2N6388MSYW5D

*also, you could skip audio to the HDTV altogether, and simply run all three digital optical cables through a switcher, then onward to the soundbar. Ideally the TV is used as a monitor only. No digital outputs on that Xbox? Wink

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Remember this is all over the web.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2014 11:42 PM PST

For now the only way I see passable sync/delay issues is when we connect from source to HT receiver and then to the HDTV.

However many sets will straighten up if you set the audio to stereo PCM. Since the sound bars are not 5.1 you see trouble if you send more than stereo.

Sorry but it's a well discussed area.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.