Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Connection Wizard Shortcomings

by rlb2250 / August 22, 2006 1:01 AM PDT

I?ve had to reinstall XP Pro several times recently, trying different, older hard drives since my primary drive crashed.

At first, near the end of the installation process, Windows would help me set up my internet connection. (This wizard was different from the normal connection wizard you normally encounter once Xp is installed.) It would ask a few questions about how I liked to connect?modem, dsl, etc.--and viola, one Xp started my internet was already set up and in perfect working order.

On my last two installation, however, I never got this automated internet wizard. What happened to it?

I had to attempt to set up my internet connection on my own. Results, so far, have been disappointing.

The only thing I can point a finger at is Xp?s firewall. When asked on these last two installations whether or not I wanted automatic updates active, I answered no. Could this be why Xp does not automatically set up my internet connection?

Lastly, is there a way to run this wizard after installation is complete? From experience, this wizard is much more efficient?and successful?in recognizing and setting up my connection than the ?after installation? connection wizard.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connection Wizard Shortcomings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connection Wizard Shortcomings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I agree. The wizards are untrustworthy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 1:07 AM PDT

I strongly suggest we learn to do without them.

Let me state I never use them since about 2001. It only took a few times for them to P.O. me so I went back to the old ways.

The wizard will not work until all the hardware is installed proper which is worthy of a few thousand words on it's own.

-> Isn't about time that Microsoft start to install proper drivers on a fresh install?

Bob

Collapse -
Are you using the same XP....
by Michael Geist / August 22, 2006 1:12 AM PDT

cd's each time you install? The method can change when proprietary software is used.

When I wish to create a new Internet connection, I simply go to the Connection tab of IE properties page and run the Setup wizard from there. Not much ado as long as the machine has a fully updated set of drivers installed after XP is inserted.

Collapse -
Digging Deeper
by rlb2250 / August 22, 2006 2:50 AM PDT

Called my ISP. In trying to get me connected we discovered that I have a missing Network Adapter. In device manager, under network adapters, I have a 1394 adapter but according to her there should also be some kind of PCI network adapter.

Short of digging up my Mobo CD, I have no idea where I?m supposed to find this adapter. Because it?s not listed under device manager, I have no name to search for and consequently I don?t think I could download it off the net.

This problem makes me wonder though. Is it common for XP to fail to reinstall drivers during a reinstallation over an existing installation?

I also see that my USB ports don?t seem to be working. Makes me wonder if this could all be related.

Collapse -
Yes and yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Digging Deeper

If there is one glaring omission in Microsoft's OS offerings it is the lack of effort given to drivers. Microsoft has to this day dismissed drivers as the responsibility of the maker or the person who installs this OS.

Yes we must install motherboard drivers then drivers for each device we need to get working.

Bob

Collapse -
Proffitt
by rlb2250 / August 22, 2006 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes and yes.

Does the fact that both my USB ports and my network adapter (both of which are inches apart on the back of the case) go on the blink at the same time?make you lean toward a software/driver issue or a hardware issue.

For example, could there be something disconnected between the Mobo and those ports on the case back.

My keyboard and mouse work fine but I?m not sure they?re on the same path with the USB and network adapter.

Collapse -
I'll write "may be curable."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Proffitt

In one of your earlier posts you noted not getting the driver CD.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?