HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Connection- Was excellent -now low

by rskay / October 16, 2007 3:01 AM PDT

There is a Linksys Wireless G router in the place I'm subletting. I bought a Wireless B adapter for my PC. No problem at first. Always an excellent connection.

Then I started having internet problems. Checking the wireless icon in the tray -- it said low. The little bar icon in the "View Wireless Networks" box, however, still looked strong. At first I would disconnect from the network and re-connect and everything was great for a while (Connection indicates excellent-- easy web surfing.) Then it would happen again. Sometimes I would have disconnect-- then reboot and then connect again and it would work again for a while.

Today, however, no amount of disconnecting, reconnecting, or resetting the router restores the good connection.

CRITICAL FACT. Using my laptop int he same room there is a perfectly good, "excellent" connection. And throughout I have "4 bars" in the "View Wireless Networks" box.

THANKS!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connection- Was excellent -now low
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connection- Was excellent -now low
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 3:17 AM PDT

Are you set to WPA security, broadcasting SSID and latest router firmware?

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by rskay / October 16, 2007 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: And...

If you mean linksys firmware I never loaded any since my experience has always been that with a wireless adapter I didn't need any to connect to an available network. The router is not security enabled at all as I didn't want to monkey with the owner's settings. On broadcast SSID I will need to check since I'm at work now. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
We want to monkey with it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

It's a fine source of issues being unsecure and out of date. You may have found the issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Also
by rskay / October 16, 2007 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I forgot to mention in my reply that whatever the state of the firmware, security, etc it's got to be the same for the laptop that works fine. I'm thinking it's got to be the adapter. I got an old Wireless B adapter but it worked fine for a while and then intermittently. Can you reset an adapter? It runs off the USB connection (I think). Funny how there's so much I can't remember when I'm away from the stuff!

Collapse -
Yes, that often stops someone from fixing it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Also

Let's say someone is interfering with just one device (they cloned the MAC address for example.)

Your choice of not updating means they you have decided to live with it.

Bob

Collapse -
Seems OK now
by rskay / October 16, 2007 7:33 PM PDT

I enabled the security on the router last night-- and things have been copasetic so far. Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2007 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Seems OK now

This area is growing in it's problems. You can't believe how many times we fix it by moving to WPA, broadcast SSID, update firmware. The combo works.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.