Samsung forum

General discussion

Connection of Gateway laptop to Samung HL-S5687W via HDMI?

by lam121 / July 25, 2009 11:09 PM PDT

I checked the BIOS, driver, resolution settings, enabled mirror (or clone) desktop to second monitor, and made sure the i connected the HDMI cable to the laptop before i turned it on. Sometimes i get a few sporadic seconds of picture and sound on my DLP, but mainly it says 'mode not supported'. Help - any suggestions? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connection of Gateway laptop to Samung HL-S5687W via HDMI?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connection of Gateway laptop to Samung HL-S5687W via HDMI?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Connection of Gateway laptop to Samung HL-S5687W via HDMI?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 28, 2009 11:59 AM PDT

iam121,

What resolution are you outputting from the laptop's video settings?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Response to Samsung Tech
by lam121 / July 29, 2009 5:49 AM PDT

1900 x 1080

Collapse -
Response to Samsung Tech
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 29, 2009 11:36 AM PDT

lam121,

Try turning off the mirror setting, and instead use the FN+F7 (or Function Key that enables the video output thru the 15 pin connection. I know on Dell computers, it's FN+F7, and on ThinkPads it may be FN+F4. Each manufacturer is different. But I hook my laptop up to an external monitor every day and have to go through the process when starting the computer.

Also to keep in mind, you may try the Fn+F# combination once and get the same error. That means it's going to mirror. What you want to do is have the computer send the signal ONLY to the television, so that may require hitting the FN+F# key a second time. At that point, it will send it only to the television, and that should do the trick. I don't know what Gateway's F-key funtion key for external monitor enabling is, but if you can figure that out (usually a picture of a box or it may say LCD), that would be my suggestion.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Resolution
by _jr_ / July 29, 2009 11:54 AM PDT

1900x1080? That's an odd resolution for a TV to support, to begin with, quite frankly. Have you tried setting the Desktop resolution to something your TV can definitely support?

On the other hand, for your TV, the manual specifically states that:

"You cannot connect this TV to a PC via HDMI/DVI." (Page 100). There is a table of supported resolutions on Page 102.

I am going strictly by the manual, of course. So technically, the TV is behaving perfectly within specs.

_jr_

Collapse -
Resolution
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 29, 2009 2:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Resolution
Collapse -
pg 100
by lam121 / August 9, 2009 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Resolution

Yea - i read that on pg 100 but i didnt want to belive it and was hoping someone would tell me it wasnt true. i dont really want to use any other connection beside a HDMI to hook up my laptop to my tv. its one of the reasons i got the laptop. so i guess that means ill just have to buy another tv Happy thanks for all your help

Collapse -
If you find any solutions, please let me know.
by spikeswire / July 29, 2009 12:44 AM PDT

Although i have not messed with the connection much since i got it, i to have had the same issue. I will try again tonight, and repost if i figure anything out.

Collapse -
Response to spikeswire
by lam121 / July 29, 2009 5:55 AM PDT

that would be awesome - thanks

Collapse -
Try Extend My Desktop next time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2009 12:57 AM PDT

On my laptops that works better. I also have an option to "Make this my primary display" when I want to play a DVD.

My experiences tell me to avoid the clone desktop settings.
Bob

Collapse -
Response to R.Proffitt
by lam121 / July 29, 2009 6:08 AM PDT

Even if i made it my primary display - it would still flicker...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!