HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows 7 forum

General discussion

connection bridgeing help

by scorpionxx0 / May 30, 2012 9:18 AM PDT

I have created a network bridge connection on my laptop so I can just use a cord to connect my ps3 online. unforunatly whenever I plug the cord into the game system it can't find the ip address for the connection. can someoen tell me what's wrong with the connection that the game system can't find the ip address.
heres a run down on what I did to create the connection:

. open network connections by right clicking on your wireless icon in the tray or clicking on start then connect to then show all connections.

2. Highlight both your Ethernet and Wireless connections. Right click and choose bridge connections.

3. WAIT....

4. Open command prompt and type in "netsh bridge show adapter" with out the quotes. Find which number your wireless connection has in front of it and type "netsh bridge set adapter (what ever your number is) enable.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connection bridgeing help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connection bridgeing help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why
by Jimmy Greystone / May 30, 2012 7:17 PM PDT

Why are you doing this when you clearly have a wireless Internet connection already, and all PS3 models, save the original 20GB, come with built-in wireless support? Unless you have one of those original 20GB models and forgot to mention it, it'd be far more efficient to just connect the PS3 directly to the wireless connection.

If you have that lone model without wireless support, then what you want is Internet Connection Sharing, not network bridging. However, unless things have improved significantly since XP, which I doubt very much given the plethora of cheap routers out there, ICS is fickle and fragile at the best of times. It will invariably stop working one day, completely out of the blue, and be nigh impossible to fix short of reinstalling Windows. You'd be far better off just getting a wireless ethernet bridge device which you can then use to add wireless support to the PS3, assuming you have the one and only PS3 model that lacks native wireless support.

Collapse -
re: why
by scorpionxx0 / May 31, 2012 12:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Why

although it has the wireless feature, my ps3 for whatever reason won't connect with the signal due to how far away it is. therefore I'm forced to try and connect it through my laptop.

Collapse -
That doesn't make sense
by Jimmy Greystone / May 31, 2012 1:49 PM PDT
In reply to: re: why

That doesn't make sense, unless you have a 15-25ft+ long ethernet cable, otherwise if the laptop can connect then odds are the PS3 should be able to since they'd be within a few feet of one another.

While I can't say for sure, because I haven't seen you try it, I'd guess that it's not connecting because you're not setting the right encryption system or possibly are entering in the password wrong. Another thing I often do, is forget I have MAC address filtering on.

Regardless, you'd be better off either moving the PS3, getting an ethernet bridge device, or getting a/moving the router.

Collapse -
If your laptop has wifi,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2012 10:34 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.