Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Connection break with very good signal

by afai / August 11, 2005 10:40 AM PDT

I am using Linksys WUSB11 and BEFW11S4
Even I setup my computer right next to my wireless router and the signal would still pause every like 40 seconds.
One example is that when I am downloading a big file, the connection will pause every 40-60 second then resume.
Another example is when I am playing online game the game will pause every 40-60 seconds and then resume. The adapter will simply just pause and will not send and receive any data every like 40-60second and after 5 second it would resume to its task.

Any one know why? and how to fix it? pleas help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connection break with very good signal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connection break with very good signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2005 11:03 AM PDT

1. Latest firmware and drivers all around.

2. My WUSB11 (802.11b) seems to have degraded in the 2 years since I bought it. I changed it out.

3. Any network share that is offline can result in your complaint.

4. Spyware does this. Got any?

Collapse -
not the problem i think
by afai / August 11, 2005 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Try.

1. yeah it is all up-to-date firmware like 2004 (they update it anymore)

2.I have this problem all along when i first buy it, since i can't fix it i just i setup the wireless on the computer I use less frequently and use hardwire to the computer I frequently use. however now i need the second computer to have smooth connection too.

3. Dont quite get this but i dont think its the problem.

4. Ad-aware check every week and up-to-date.

Definately the problem is not cause by spyware, cause when I download a big file I can see the tranfer data graph on Flashget just go to the bottom every 40 second and go straight back up after like 3 second. There is absoultely no internet activity. ( the adaptor doesnt even blink) It is like that the adoptor need to cool off and rest every now and then.

Collapse -
You didn't note flashget, but I'd toss it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2005 11:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
i didn't know that
by afai / August 11, 2005 12:45 PM PDT

well i am going to remove it and see...

do u think it is the problem?
anyway if replace it what should i replace it by? should i replace my old BEFW11S4

Collapse -
What I think.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2005 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: i didn't know that

1. The adapter has aged and now has a problem. Mine was never that good so I replaced it. It's now time to clean out my drawer of the thing since few have 802.11b devices.

2. There can be some firewall or other spyware in the machine. Are you clean according to and Housecall?

In closing, you ignored the forum note so I can't guess at much else.

The BEFW11S4 was a workhorse and worked well with the latest firmware. I've run into quite a few and don't hear many complaints (outside people saying they didn't know about the firmware or it was hard to update).

Collapse -
What should I replace it with?
by afai / August 11, 2005 12:59 PM PDT

I find out that I dont have enough signal if i put the wireless adopter at my desire location. When i find a good signal place, if someone is to walk across the house my connection would be lost.
I already bought the extra str. attenna but it doesn't really help.

Collapse -
Look at...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2005 12:23 AM PDT

Since the WUSB11 is on the end of a USB Cable, look to to build a zero cost relector that can double the signal strength. Replacing might help, but if your signal is weak then a minute long drop might be explained by a drop and then it retunes/reregisters with the wireless access point (router).

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?