General discussion

Connection between Dell laptop and Samsung TV

Dec 20, 2008 9:23AM PST

I would like to connect my Dell XPS m1210 laptop to my Samsung 37 inch Full HD television (unfortunately I don't know the exact model name but I bought it 13 months ago and at that time it was a brand new model) with the intention of watching high definition (and sometimes perhaps a bit lower def) video (both downloaded and from discs). As the laptop doesn't have either DVI or HDMI outputs I'm left in a bit of a pickle. I'm looking for a way to get the best possible picture and sound quality (just for the tv, don't have surround system).

Is Firewire in any way usable and a choice worth looking at?

If I use VGA which I've understood basically only supports 800x600 resolution, can I somehow upgrade the quality? And what would the differences both in practice and on paper between VGA and HDMI connections in my case be?

My laptop seems to have two audio outputs, do I have to use a cable with two pins on one end and one on the other to get the best audio possible or is there another plausible audio solution?

Thank you in advance!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Connection between Dell laptop and Samsung TV
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Connection between Dell laptop and Samsung TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
one more thing...
Dec 20, 2008 9:25AM PST

Do I have to adjust any settings on the tv to maximize the video/audio quality?

- Collapse -
A few answers...
Dec 20, 2008 9:52AM PST

peepseroni,

Welcome to the forum.

Using a PC cable will probably be the best way to go. You're not losing a significant amount of picture, but the signal is being transferred analog via VGA, where as HDMI and DVI transmit a digital signal.

If you can give me a model number, I can suggest resolutions for you to try, and the available list of resolutions you can use are listed in the manual.

On my laptop computer, I'm viewing 1920x1200 via VGA cable on a 24" monitor externally connected, so it will support the higher resolutions. And it looks pretty good. I look at this panel all day.

The audio would probably be best with a 3.5mm (headphone jack) on the laptop to an RCA (red, white) connection to the back of the television. In some cases, the connection for the PC input is a 3.5mm input also, so that would be a 3.5mm male-to-male connection. Whatever input assigned to your PC input is the one to use.

If you have any other questions, or need clarification, let me know!

--HDTech

- Collapse -
model:
Dec 20, 2008 10:25AM PST

the model is LE37M86BCC.

btw, what is the difference(s) between the signal beeing transferred analog/digitally in my case?

- Collapse -
1920x1080
Dec 20, 2008 3:45PM PST

peepseroni,

Your panel is a 1920x1080 resolution.

So in this case, using a DVI/HDMI cable would be ideal; however, that doesn't seem to be available. Not to worry, as VGA is still a GOOD connection, but it's not AS good as DVI/HDMI, and the bigger the panel gets, the more processing (dithering, banding, blur in fast action games) you'll see. It may not be enough to notice or be bothered by; it depends how much you notice it.

DVI/HDMI has a faster transfer rate.

VGA only carries the color information to the monitor. DVI/HDMI also carries pixel-to-pixel placement (which is why the monitor adjust features get blanked out when you use DVI/HDMI) So VGA may leave an inch or so of space at the top, bottom or sides of the panel while it displays the picture, and it's difficult to adjust that out, and has to be done by the video card. DVI/HDMI are programmed exactly to know where the pixels are.

Hope that helps!

--HDTech

- Collapse -
a few more..
Dec 27, 2008 7:07PM PST

thanks, it has helped a lot!

now I would like to know how to best connect my laptop and tv to a home cinema. I'm thinking of buying for example the HT-X715 and I'm not sure how to best integrate my laptop (and watching movies on it) with the tv and home cinema to get the best video and audio quality.

Thank you for your help!

- Collapse -
Dec 27, 2008 7:08PM PST

and also, is it possible to get a 5.1 surround sound from a laptop when watching a movie?

- Collapse -
laptop...
Dec 28, 2008 4:15AM PST

It's only possible if your laptop's video/audio card has that capability. Most don't. However, HDMI ports and surround sound features are emerging today on higher end computers.

You can always check to see if the manufacturer offers surround options (parts) for their current lineup as an upgrade.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Problem connecting Dell laptop to samsung TV
Oct 31, 2009 3:47AM PDT

Hallo,

i've faced quite interesting problem, i own Dell xps16, which has hdmi connection and my samsung tv (model le32r71w) also supports full HD mode. But when i connect my laptop via hdmi cord to tv even at highest resolutions (on TV) all windows vista's appearance look extremely poor, i mean its even hard to read what is what in menu bars. Speaking about videos and photos it looks normal ( i mean it's not that disturbed).
I've tried various resolutions, but when laptop and tv are connected via hdmi picture quality comparing to a VGA conection is even worse ( when i connect laptop to a tv via VGA cable all menus look just perfect)
I cant understand what am i doing wrong, i've spent two days searching the internet for salvation, but no results. Please help me, give me some advise, for i don't know were my problem is.
I think its important to say, i've tried even other HDMI cord (which i know is good couse i connect playstation3 with it).
Even at low resolutions picture on tv looks disturbed, but laptop screen at the same time is brilliant.
I have tried both modes Cloning and Extended view, but view on Tv looks generic.
Sorry for my english if you see mistakes, thats not my native language.
i'm waiting for your answer impatiantly.

- Collapse -
Audio problems
Sep 28, 2010 4:19AM PDT

hi,
i'm having some trouble with my dell-samsung audio connection (to be specific it's dell inspiron 1525, using win7 and samsung le32c450)

the video connection is established with a vga cable and it works...the audio connection is the problem, i'm using 3.5mm stereo plug to RCA pair cable (headphone jack). i've set the headset earphone as default communication device(i've also tried S/PDIF)..but it just wont work..
are there any setting on the tv to be made?or something else..?

i hope someone can help me with this problem!

- Collapse -
connection between dell vostro 1015 and samsung series 5 LED
Jun 13, 2011 4:52AM PDT

When i am trying to connect between the samsung LED series TV and dell vostro 1015 through HDMI cable , it is showing check signal power

- Collapse -
connection between dell vostro 1015 and samsung series 5 LED
Jun 13, 2011 5:04PM PDT

dutt49,

- Collapse -
connection between samsung tv and dell vostro 1015 laptop
Jun 14, 2011 12:35AM PDT

What's the model of the TV?

- Collapse -
connection between samsung tv and dell vostro 1015 laptop
Jun 14, 2011 6:18AM PDT

dutt49,

The series 5 was avaialble in 2009, 2010, 2011... It helps me help you when I know which exact model we're talking about, so that's what I was asking for a more specific answer.

To change the name of the input, use your remote and press the following:

Menu > Input > Edit Input Name > (scroll through the options to see if one will work best with your laptop)

If you are using HDMI, don't choose PC DVI, but most of the other options will probably work.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
How to connect laptop-DELL to LCD Samsung
Jun 28, 2010 6:48PM PDT

Sir,

I have to make a power point presentation which is on laptop and there is a LCD screen on which I have to present it. But I couild not connect the laptop to LCD. And this LCD have also connected to WEB Cam. So u are requested to kind give me step by step direction that How can I connect it so that I can make power point presentation.

I shall be highly thank ful to you for this.

Jaishi Ram

- Collapse -
Audio problems
Sep 27, 2010 8:06AM PDT

hi,
i'm having some trouble with my dell-samsung audio connection (to be specific it's dell inspiron 1525, using win7 and samsung le32c450)

the video connection is established with a vga cable and it works...the audio connection is the problem, i'm using 3.5mm (headphone jack). i've set the headset earphone as default communication device..but it just wont work..
are there any setting on the tv to be made?or something else..?

i hope someone can help me with this problem!

- Collapse -
Mode not supported
Jan 10, 2012 8:58AM PST

Hi am trying to connect my dell vostro 1500 to Samsung TV Series 4+ 450 using a VGA to RCA cable, in the source menu it comes up as component 1 but once I choose that option a message says MODE NOT SUPPORTED, i have tried to change resolutions but nothing works so far, any ideas?

- Collapse -
No audio from Samsung 37 inch LED (series 5000)
May 12, 2012 1:46AM PDT

I connected my Thinkpad t43p through a VGA cable to the back of the Samsung series 5000 TV, and plugged the audio (from the earphone output of the laptop) into the Audio IN input at the back of the TV. The picture is fine, but there is no sound from the TV. The TV sound works fine with HDMI input, and the earphone output of the laptop does carry the audio track (I can hear it when I plug it into my stereo).
What do I need to do to hear the sound from the back Audio In? Is it some menu choice I have not yet found?
Thanks,

- Collapse -
SOLVED-- found the PC-audio input in the back of the TV
May 12, 2012 8:08PM PDT

SOLVED-- fI ound the PC-audio input in the back of the TV.... Wink
I never could imagine that they will hae a separate audio input for the PC..

CNET Forums

Forum Info