Computer Help forum

General discussion

connecting without a router

by praxsdad / January 22, 2008 11:21 PM PST

my OS is windows 2000 , i am moving and going to be without a router , while i can connect to the internet using this modem/ routher combo , when i try to connect just using the new modem i have ( for the new house) it shows that its sending data but not reciving any data .... i have tryed deleteing the connection and making a new connection ... reistalled the TCP/ip .. reistalled the drivers for my Ethernet adaptor ... still cant get this PC to work on just the modem .... any ideas would be welcomed

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connecting without a router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connecting without a router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you use the right cable?
by Kees Bakker / January 22, 2008 11:46 PM PST

Should be a cross cable, not a patch cable.

Kees

Collapse -
What modem?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2008 11:55 PM PST

Your post left out make and models plus nothing about cable, dsl so I can't start tossing out ideas. But in short we'll have to set it up as the DSL provider tells us.

Bob

Collapse -
modem and cables
by praxsdad / January 23, 2008 12:57 AM PST

i have a westell model #890-210015-04 modem , my provider is verizon , i have tryed several cables as well as the one supplyed with this modem , guess i should get my meter out and find out if any or all are cross-over cables none so far have made any diffrence ,thank you for your rapid responce

Collapse -
That modem is actually a very basic router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: modem and cables

So nothing much has to be done on XP. Just "obtain an IP address" automatically. The router setup is per Verizon's instructions which I don't duplicate there.

Bob

Collapse -
I've Found That Verizon REQUIRES Their Software Use...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: modem and cables

On some installations, I've found it necessary to use their installation CD to get things running. Their basic modems and your connection software must be "verified" during the setup process.. One of my customers, after performing a complete setup with the CD was running just fine for about a month. For some reason, he decided to unplug everything to clean up the house.. Upon plugging everything back in again, the customer couldn't connect until the Verizon software CD verified their installation again..

It's worth a try.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?