Question

Connecting via Ethernet disables wireless connection

I've been trying to use my laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad Y580) as a wireless adapter for my Xbox 360 by bridging the LAN/Wireless networks and connecting the Xbox to the laptop via Ethernet. The wireless works fine normally, but when I plug the Ethernet cable into the computer, the laptop automatically disables WiFi and changes to a LAN connection. It doesn't give any options whatsoever to reconnect to wireless, just forces me to use the Ethernet connection. As soon as the cable is removed the wireless connection returns, but for what I'm trying to do to work, I need both LAN and wireless to be working simultaneously, and the wireless providing the Internet connection. I've also tried connecting the laptop to a router via Ethernet and received the same result, so I'm pretty sure it's something on the laptop that's causing it. Is there a way to change this so the laptop can use the wireless connection while plugged into another device via Ethernet? Thanks to all who respond.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Connecting via Ethernet disables wireless connection
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Connecting via Ethernet disables wireless connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
That's by design.

I think you need dedicated hardware for what you want.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Rarely found the bridge to work.

Too finicky. I'll make a nod to VIRTUAL ROUTER which I suggest you try and after that you need a router.
Bob

CNET Forums