General discussion

Connecting USB peripherals to Parallel Port

What kind of adapters are available that will allow me to use a USB multifunction printer/fax/scanner on an old laptop that only has a parallel port? Is this kind of thing widely available, and are they expensive?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Connecting USB peripherals to Parallel Port
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Connecting USB peripherals to Parallel Port
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
How about a PCMCIA (PC Card)....

to USB adapter for the laptop?

- Collapse -
Toast. Here's what I found.

1. There are NO parallel to USB adapters. The reverse can be found (USB to Parallel.)

2. I have yet to find a PCMCIA USB 1.1 or 2.0 card. It matters!!! Here's why.

Most older laptops without the USB 1.1 port will have the older ->PCMCIA <- card slots and USB cards are now PC-Card which do not function in the older slot.

Links about USB 2.0 cards to show the CARDBUS issue!
-> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&ci=8412&Q=&O=NavBar
None were PCMCIA, but are CARDBUS!

-> http://www.usbman.com/oldforum/forum8/messages/689.html laments there are none.

Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks

So, it seems that I'm dead in the water.

Well, I'm glad I didn't go ahead and buy that multifunction unit that the seemingly trustworthy Staples salesman insisted I could easily hook up to my girlfriend's old laptop just by purchasing a "$10 adapter from Comp USA"...

- Collapse -
Not entirely.

If you have shared the make/model number of the laptop I could have double checked what PCMCIA it had. But as it stands I had to take it from experience that such without any USB has usually had PCMCIA and not PC-Card.

The Forum Tip is there to help people help you. Please use it.

Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks

I'm not very savvy about this site, so I'm not sure what the 'Forum Tip' is that you're referring to, but the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT, running Windows 98. I'd have included that info before, but I wasn't near the laptop at the time and didn't realize that you had specific info available about specific models. Thanks.

- Collapse -
It's 16 bit PCMCIA. and...

If you are not seeing the Tip "If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

If you are not seeing this right above the Subject title when you make a reply, please post that it's broken in the Forum Feedback Forum. It can explain why so many don't follow the tip's directions.

-> I looked up your 430 laptop specs and it's just PCMCIA. No PC-Card will work in that.

Bob

- Collapse -
Oh well...

Ok, thanks for looking.

CNET Forums

Forum Info