Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Networking & Wireless forum

Question

connecting two networks

by chrisgold999 / June 26, 2012 7:11 AM PDT

Heres a puzzle if anyone can help
i have an Computer running an Epos system with a wired network to four tills (four tills into a switcher unit then one lead into the computer)
I also have an office network with four computers conected to the internet through a wired netgear router.
Can any one tell me how to get the epos computer on the internet while still seeing all four tills (Epos computer only has one ethernet port) i am pulling my hair out please help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connecting two networks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connecting two networks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Given such slim details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2012 7:17 AM PDT

Why not a second ethernet card in the PC just so this PC can be on that EPOS LAN?

Collapse -
Answer
Port count
by bill012 / June 26, 2012 10:26 PM PDT

Pretty much just cable it all together. All you really need to do is cable your switch to the lan port of the router.
I suspect your biggest issue will be if you have extra ports to allow you to cable it together. Worst case you could replace your switch with a larger one. You more than likely will have to change the IP addresses of one of the networks.

Doing it is not so much the problem... the larger question is should you even attempt this. Any time you deal with computer systems that have any form of financial information you have to worry about protecting it. Not connecting it at all to a outside network is the ultimate in security.

You would really want to place a firewall between these networks. The key is not so much the firewall itself but having enough knowledge of how the application works to allow the firewall to be configured to only allow the absolute essential traffic.

Collapse -
re epos
by chrisgold999 / June 27, 2012 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Port count

Thanks for the reply
The reason for doing this is to allow a third party into my Epos for system matenance , this is normaly ok if he just wants to see the computer, but on this occasion they need to see the tills as well, i have tryed cabling it together in various ways with straight cables and cross cables but to no avail, i think you hit it on the head when you said about ip addresses etc im not tech enought to mess with it as i do not want to mess the shop network up
I guess ill leave it alone untill i can find help, Thanks a lot

Collapse -
That's a good idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2012 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: re epos

Even I would not offer a fix given the slim details. But a warning from me about third party remote access when money is involved. I'd question if they are the right folk if they didn't help you set this up. Maybe there is more to the story such as there is a fee to do that and that was not shared but remote access is... full of danger.

If they can get access, it's likely others can too.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!