Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Connecting to the Internet - Dlink Router

by lee100 / November 22, 2004 7:41 AM PST

I have 4 pc's hooked up to a dlink router. One pc can not connect to the internet. I can receive and send packets according to NIC but when I click IE or Netscape browser I get "cannot find server or DNS Error". I tried connecting to yahoo or google. I can ping all my machines and I have lookatlan software installed and able to see all pc's. I have 3 boxes running xp and 1 Linux. The one having the problem is running XP. Can someone help this is driving me crazy!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting to the Internet - Dlink Router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting to the Internet - Dlink Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Connecting to the Internet - Dlink Router
by Coryphaeus / November 22, 2004 11:32 PM PST
Collapse -
by Michael Geist / November 23, 2004 8:35 AM PST

If the other PCs can connect without issue, then the problem lies within. Restart to Safe Mode with Networking, if the Internet comes up it's time to look for the usual spyware/virus bugs.

Collapse -
by tjdonahue / November 23, 2004 9:55 AM PST

Have you checked the TCP/IP settings under network connections for the problem PC? OBTAIN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY and OBTAIN DNS SERVER AUTOMATICALLY.

Collapse -
by radioactive1 / November 23, 2004 12:43 PM PST

I'm assuming that you've gone to MY Network Places (on the machine that isn't working) and clicked on View Network Connections to see that you have an assigned IP address. (which should be your internal IP/LAN IP for this machine)

Are you using DHCP to assign the IP address? If not, check this and all of your settings.

The other thing to check is this:

Double click on your Wireless Network icon in View Network Connections to bring up Wireless Connection Status.

Click on Properties to bring up Wireless Connection Properties. Click on the Wireless Networks tab and make sure "Use Windows to Configure my Wireless Network Settings" is checked. If not, this could be your problem.

Are you sure you have a wireless card on the PC that is not connecting to the internet that is compatible with your browser - believe me, just because the guy at the store told you it would work with your router, don't assume this is true. You might want to make sure your wireless card is of the same brand.

Also, are you sure that your browser isn't set up to go through a proxy server?

And last, you should be able to look at the DHCP Client list on your router and see the IP address of the PC that is not able to access the web.

If none of these checks resolves the problem, check this website and walkthrough their setup procedures to see if you can isolate the problem.

Good Luck,

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?