Mac OS forum

General discussion

connecting to server

by tomarie / July 14, 2005 11:09 PM PDT

I have a G4 iBook with 768 meg of ram running Tiger OS X (10.4.2) as part of a mixed Mac PC network. Mac mini with OS X Tiger (10.4.2) with 256 meg of ram which is the web server for my web site and blog. An ancient IBM Aptiva with a 500 MHz Athlon chip and 768 meg of ram. All work well together. Recently, within the last week, I get a pop-up after logging in to the iBook which attempts to connect to the server (that is the mini which is serving my web site). The option is to login as a registered user or a guest. This is the same process I would normally use to connect to any other computer on the network but this happens automatically each time I logon to the iBook. I think it has something to do with an nfs connection but I don't recall ever doing anything to set this up. I have the option to cancel the process which leaves everthing as I normally expect them to be. I recently updated to Tiger but this 'activity' did not happen until I had been using Tiger for at least a week. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connecting to server
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connecting to server
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nothing
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 15, 2005 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: connecting to server

Rather than just ignore your post, I figured that at least some sort of reply would let you know that someone did actually read it. I have not seen this problem before. I assume there is nothing in the startup items that would initiate this connection attempt?
Please let us know if you found an answer elsewhere.

Sorry

P

Collapse -
RE: Nothing
by tomarie / July 16, 2005 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Nothing

No, I haven't come upon an explanation/solution to the problem I described. Nothing in StartupItems even when I sudo to root. I did discover a folder in the '/' directory which I had not noticed before but I can't say I trust my wetware to be sure about the accuracy of that. The folder is: "File Transfer Folder??" Any attempts to identify it with 'file' or even a simple 'ls' fails with a message that either it can't open it or it doesn't exist. I am tending to believe that I have inadvertently changed something in the way nfs works when I connected to my mini and may have clicked on a program rather than only initiated a file copy or transfer, etc. I guess trying to run a program on a remote server could cause some problems. This is done on Unix systems all the time so I don't know if this is relevant or not. All else functions fine and clicking on cancel after logon is at most annoying.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.