PC Hardware forum

General discussion

connecting to a networked machine

by kelraie / March 5, 2004 12:23 AM PST

Hello
My work PC runs W98SE and is on the company's LAN. I would like to be able to bring my laptop from home (XP Pro) and somehow connect it to the PC so I can use the internet connection and print from the laptop to the network printer. Should I get an actual network hub and feed the work LAN cable into it. Or can I directly connect both machines? Remote desktop will let me use the laptop from the PC, but will not be able to access work printer from the laptop.
Thanks
Kevin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connecting to a networked machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connecting to a networked machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:connecting to a networked machine
by Art / March 5, 2004 3:35 AM PST

The question may be..not can but will your company allow it. Talk to the IT dept.

Collapse -
Re:Re:connecting to a networked machine
by kelraie / March 5, 2004 3:59 AM PST

I am talking to my IT people. I'm also interested in learning about the technical feasibility of what I'm trying to accomplish. Can you network with a networked machine?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:connecting to a networked machine
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2004 4:05 AM PST

"Can you network with a networked machine?"

I can, but I usually have to make a plan. Yours is very unclear but I'll note what information sites contain almost all you need to know to accomplish your task.

http://www.wown.com
http://www.practicallynetworked.com
http://www.linksys.com

Some items will be "this will never work" items like trying to re-share a network drive or printer from a Windows 98 machine. Its best if you have an older OS to just tell you no.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:connecting to a networked machine
by kelraie / March 5, 2004 7:47 AM PST

I am talking to my IT people. I'm also interested in learning about the technical feasibility of what I'm trying to accomplish. Can you network with a networked machine?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:connecting to a networked machine
by JMarchi / March 6, 2004 1:21 AM PST

I do this type of thing all the time for clients. You can just get a hub and plug in and "probably" get access to the internet that way. Depends on the size of the company, whether they use a proxy server, how much security they have installed. The bigger the company the less likely you are to be able to get this to work. In smaller companies they usually have a router with a DHCP server that will assign you an IP and allow you to access the internet.

If you are connected to a Domain controller (server) rather than a Workgroup server then you will not be able to access files on your desktop directly. You would need to either be made part of the domain, or you would need to use software like PC Anywhere to connect to the system and then could use File transfer once that is done.

So...the answer to this question really depends on what the IT people at your office have configured. If they have IT people at all it usually means you can't just come in and do what you ask, without their direct help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!