Storage forum

General discussion

Connecting SCSI LVD/SE tape drive to SCSI2controller?

I got hold of a HP SureStore DLT80 external (Quantum TH8AG drive inside) when they upgraded at work.
Will it work properly,(slow) if I connect it to My OLD Adaptec AHA1542B ISA controller card?
Such cabel (MicroD68male-CEN50male) I found but is it ment for this direction?
If so, can I use the terminator that came with the tape drive?
My best....
/Spirow

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting SCSI LVD/SE tape drive to SCSI2controller?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting SCSI LVD/SE tape drive to SCSI2controller?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Connecting SCSI LVD/SE tape drive to SCSI2controller?

In reply to: Connecting SCSI LVD/SE tape drive to SCSI2controller?

I'm going to write no. You'll want to obtain a proper SCSI card. After that issue you run into the need for software to support the drive. Windows doesn't...

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Connecting SCSI LVD/SE tape drive to SCSI2controller?

In reply to: Connecting SCSI LVD/SE tape drive to SCSI2controller?

Were it me, I'd tinker around to try to save a nickle, but in your case there are inexpensive PCI SCSI controllers available that would give you the speed you need to run that drive properly.

However, if you feel like tinkering, some considerations:

First, I would check to see if the terminator is Single Ended or Low Voltage Differential. The old card you mentioned is only Single Ended, and might not work if improperly terminated.

Second, you may have to set a jumper on the Tape drive to Force Single Ended operation.

Verify that the drive is not a wide drive, because if it is you will need special parts to set-up a wide device on a narrow controller.

Having verified those things FIRST. It is possible that it will work. Your next obstacle is the OS, you didn't mention what OS you are using. Windows NT and its derivatives W2k, W-XP, WS 2003 are all relatively SCSI friendly W95, W98 not so friendly. Your version of windows backup could very well work with this drive, as some of them were written by adaptec, optionally you can purchase one from Adaptec that would probably work. The drivers for that card are probably easy to come by, but SCSI being a multi-class interface, you will need a scsi class driver for the tape drive as well as the actual device driver. Since the CD class driver is aspicd, and the disk class driver is aspidisk, I suspect you will find that the tape class driver is aspitape. (If I was at home I could look on my own PC and tell you, unfortunately Wink I'm on vacation).

BTW have you checked the cost of DLT Tapes? And don't neglect to get a DLT Cleaning Cartridge as well.

Good Luck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.