Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Connecting remote PC to my home network

by WhyFi / July 28, 2006 10:06 PM PDT

I have a small network (2 PCs) set up at home, and a PC at my store. I'd like to be able to do some file sharing between the two locations (networking via internet). Specifically, I'd like to be able to use a tracking program to keep tabs on the progress of some distributed computing applications on the remote PC in addition to more conventional file sharing.

I'm currently using RealVNC to remotely control the work PC and check progress - it works, it's just not as convenient as it could be.

I have tried MS Live Messenger, and it does allow file sharing that you can access through 'My Network Places,' but it doesn't allow sharing of an .exe, which is what I need for the monitoring program.

I have tinkered with 'add network places,' but I can't get that working properly, either. While tinkering, I have had received a request (on the work PC) for User and Password, but I don't know if it was actually coming from the home network or not - it seems that my user name from the work PC was auto-populating for the network User/Password verification, but I'd never set that up on the network, nor can I figure out how to...

I know how to find my MAC address, IP, etc, etc, I just don't know what to do with them... any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting remote PC to my home network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting remote PC to my home network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Something too dangerous to do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2006 11:52 PM PDT

Filesharing with Microsoft's networking over the internet is far too dangerous. So dangerous that I'll write this comment and decline helping anyone make it work.

Hope you understand,

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Fair enough...
by WhyFi / July 29, 2006 6:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Try gotomypc.com
by mjohnk / July 29, 2006 12:36 AM PDT

I've used for several months now - it works great

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'll check it out!
by WhyFi / July 29, 2006 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Try gotomypc.com
Collapse -
I?m using LogMeIn
by martinari / July 30, 2006 2:46 AM PDT

I have a similar setup, with small network at home and small network at work. Yesterday I opted for LogMeIn, after reading reviews, and installed it on the office computer. I was able to control it immediately (as soon as I got home!) from my home notebook, and even switch it off remotely, which was handy.

The free logmein offers remote control. The subscription version adds file transfer and other goodies. If you install the free version, you automatically get a trial of the subscription version, which allows two hours access and then promises to revert to the free version. Once my two hours are up, I will have to choose.

I was impressed by the fact that it worked straight off, even though the office computer is part of a radio network of access to the Internet, and seemed to give me complete control of the remote machine, even allowing me to turn it off.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?