Question

Connecting PC to tv through HDMI Slot

I have a sony bravia VDL-32BX421 that I just got and am Trying to get the tv to be used as a second monitor. I have an HDMI cord that has an adaptor at one side to make it DVI that then hooks into my monitor, I have that then plugged into the HDMI 1 slot on the tv, i then have audio plugged into the PC/HDMI 1 slot. When I have the HDMI cord plugged in I am getting a perfect picture but no sound. When I unplug the HDMI cord the sound will go through.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Connecting PC to tv through HDMI Slot
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Connecting PC to tv through HDMI Slot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
More info

I spent about half an hour with an online chat with a sony representative who had no idea about anything for it and for them to just leave the chat actually before helping in the slightest, i then spent about 40 minutes on the phone with someone who spoke english as a second language to be told its probaly a problem with the computers settings but they cant help me with that and will have a representative call me on monday morning.

- Collapse -
Here's what I learned.

When it comes to pc to tv connections there is about a 50-50 chance it can be fixed over the phone. I've solved this some 100+ times but the next time I am not surprised that the fix was not the same as the last time.

If you have a PC helper, ask them to come over and try to get it working.
Bob

- Collapse -
Audio connection

Can you clarify what type of connection the "audio plugged into the PC/HDMI 1 slot" is?

If you have a home theater receiver, your best bet for audio would be buying a 3.5mm-->red/white RCA adapter (less than $10) , plugging the 3.5mm part of the jack into your speaker/headphone jack on your computer and running the red/white RCA cables to your TV's RCA audio input.

If you don't have a receiver, you might want to buy some PC speakers for your audio.

CNET Forums