HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Connecting PC to TV

by hockeycop / March 20, 2007 11:51 PM PDT

Hello all,

I am operating windows XP and I have a GeForce 6600 GT graphics card.

I have just bought a wireless system to transmit my PC picture to my TV. The system plugs into the S-video port on my graphics card and everything looks to be plugged in correctly, but there aren't any instructions about how I set up the PC to get it to redirect the picture to my TV via the wireless set up through the S-video port.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Simon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting PC to TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting PC to TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd take it back now
by jackson dougless / March 21, 2007 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Connecting PC to TV

People are generally universally disappointed when they figure out just how limited most TV sets are compared to monitors. Adding some insult to injury, the better quality your TV set, the more pronounced this difference is.

The other problem comes about in that, unless something has changed recently, Windows can't do any sort of dual monitor type setup over TV-Out. Also, XP can't have two monitors running at different resolutions last I checked. So given that S-Video is limited to about 1024x768, even if the other problem didn't exist, you'd be forced to run your monitor at 1024x768.

However, since you have those two limitations, what would happen is along the following. You can only have a display on your monitor OR your TV, not both. If you run a higher resolution than 1024x768, if you switch to using the TV, you will automatically be switched to 1024x768, and icons on your desktop will get all shuffled around. Creating a second user account solely for the use of watching things on your TV will not work either, since Windows doesn't support different users having different resolutions.

What I've found to work really well, believe it or not, is a Microsoft Xbox (the original, not the 360). You can pick one of these up off ebay used, and then either install a modchip into it, or what's known as a softmod. These let you replace the internal hard drive with a larger one, and run the excellent "homebrew" program Xbox Media Center. The great thing about the Xbox is that it already has the necessary hookups for a TV. Composite, S-Video, and Component video are all supported, and composite and toslink audio are also supported. Add in the DVD kit, which includes a remote, and you're good to go. Icing on the cake is the built-in network port, which you can use to stream files from your PC or just load them onto the Xbox's internal hard drive. It will fit nicely into most entertainment center slots for VCR or DVD players, it's relatively quiet, and will be ready to use in less than 30 seconds from pressing the power button.

The only drawback is that the Xbox just doesn't have the power to play back a lot of video files in high resolutions. So you won't be able to play back many files at 720p or 1080i if you have a nice HDTV capable of these resolutions. For standard resolutions though, it works surprisingly well.

That would be what I recommend you do. It's probably the most versatile and flexible solution I've come across. There are packaged solutions out there, but none of them stack up quite as well. What you have now is likely never going to live up to your expectations, no matter how low they are, so I'd suggest just taking it back now.

Collapse -
PC to TV
by colbox98 / March 21, 2007 3:18 AM PDT

I agree with the previous post that you will probably be disappointed with the result of hooking your PC to a TV via S-video. But I disagree with his post about it not being possible, because I have done it myself (his idea about using the Xbox is a cool idea though.) I do it occasionally to broadcast college football games that are streamed over the internet to my TV. The quality is obviously not that great to start with, so the loss from the S-video is not as noticeable. Although it still looks surprisingly good (better then I expected it would when I first tried it.)

Exactly how you send the signal to your TV will depend on what software your GeForce came with. Usually you have to go into your "Display Properties" and go into "Settings." You might have to do a little looking around, but usually you can find what you are looking for in there. Depending on your software you may have different options. Sometimes you can only clone what is on your primary screen, sometimes it can work as a secondary monitor.

Of course I am just telling you how I have done this. You did not describe what kind of "wireless system" you have, so there could be a problem with this, and not necessarily your video card.

Collapse -
My guess is that..
by ahtoi / March 21, 2007 7:21 AM PDT

the instruction should be in the graphic card's manual or maybe take a look at the card's properties sitting and see if it can be switch to the s-video out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.