Computer Help forum

Question

Connecting PC to screen through HDMI - No sound

by deds49 / September 5, 2014 12:35 AM PDT

Hey everyone,
My problem is not a very original one and I've read thousands of posts in different forums (and in different countries) about it and I've tried every solution suggested... unfortunately unsuccessfully.
I'll try to be concise and straight-to-the-point but ask me as many questions you need to understand the issue. Also, I apologize for my poor English so don't hesitate to ask if something is not clear enough.
I've bought a used computer screen (not a TV) in fair condition because it was the only way to fit my budget for a large screen. When connected to a DSL TV receiver, using the HDMI cable, it works wonderfully!!! Sound and image are great and I couldn't be happier considering the old material I've bought.
However, if I try to connect my PC to the screen using the same HDMI cable and the same port on the screen, I can only get images (great quality) but NO SOUND AT ALL !!!
Here are the device's information :
- Screen : Philips BDL4231
- Video card : AMD Radeon HD 5450
Remarks:
- I've tried to connect another PC running Windows Vista and the results were about the same... I didn't dig any further with that one, it was only to test if another computer using a NVIDIA video card would be more successful;
- The DSL video receiver using the same cable and the same HDMI port on the TV works fine, sound and pictures are great;
- Every driver is updated according to windows and video card manufacturer (AMD);
- I'm interested in solutions through the HDMI cable only for numerous reasons;
- HDMI port is well selected on TV;
- Speakers on TV work just fine with other devices (DSL TV receiver for instance)
- No other input or output sound devices are installed on my PC
- "AMD HDMI Output" is selected as default device and if I put a Youtube video using Chrome as browser, and if I open the sound options, I'll see the bars moving as if sound was being sent as usual...
- If I right click on the sound speaker on the bottom right, and if I select the "sound mixer" I'll see the speaker moving up and down, eventually the chrome bar as well or wmp depending on what I'm trying to make sounds with;
- Going through control panel, I've checked that "AMD HDMI Output" is the only existing sound output device on my PC.
I might have forgotten to describe something so please don't hesitate to ask for more details.
Any ideas are welcome! Thank you for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting PC to screen through HDMI - No sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting PC to screen through HDMI - No sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There's your clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2014 2:14 AM PDT

"Every driver is updated according to windows and video card manufacturer (AMD);"

Microsoft's driver update and such has been busted since about 1995. Now forget you ever saw that do the driver updates for motherboard and the rest of the machine the old fashioned way. If this is some Dell and many other models you need some helper app which is not a driver to enable features. The machine's make is eluding me so I'll stop here.
Bob

Collapse -
thank you
by deds49 / September 5, 2014 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: There's your clue.

yes indeed! it makes sense... it's an HP dc7800 SFF
so if I understand well, I should look for a helper app from HP...
Thanks a lot I'll try that as soon as I get home =)

Collapse -
Answer
Which Windows 7?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2014 5:10 AM PDT
http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome?sp4ts.oid=3459245&ac.admitted=1409943942127.876444892.492883150

Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)

That's 7 versions.

But some of the items are not required for home use.

"Download index

Driver - Audio
Driver - Chipset
Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices
Driver - Modem
Driver - Network
BIOS
Firmware
Manageability - Tools
Software - Security
Software - System Management"

Some like the "ADI High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver for Microsoft Windows 7" would not be found with Microsoft's driver update button.
Bob

PS. Given the decades Microsoft has had with Windows, do you feel like the PC makers and Microsoft should have fixed the driver issues?
Collapse -
frustrated :/
by deds49 / September 5, 2014 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Which Windows 7?

Thanks again for the tip... I really think it's the way to go. But when I try to run the pilot (ADI High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver for Microsoft Windows 7) it says my OS is not supported!
My computer is running on W7 Pro OA which I had selected before downloading the pilot.
I'm very frustrated but I'm not giving up.
And yes, I guess it is too much to ask from Microsoft and PC makers....
I'll come back with good news next time (hopefully :s)

Collapse -
The thing is that we must install a motherboard driver 1st.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2014 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: frustrated :/

Install order matters. And since this is a customizable model, we're not quite sure of it's configuration.

OK, the install order for Windows is not documented on this machine. I can't understand why makers don't write it down but the general order is Windows OS, motherboard driver, sound, video, accessories and then helper apps.
Bob

Collapse -
no luck
by deds49 / September 5, 2014 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: frustrated :/

Impossible to run this pilot... il says my OS is not supported!!!! crazy... I tried the vista or the 64 bits and still nothing

Collapse -
Read what someone else did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2014 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: no luck
Collapse -
Answer
I'm confused on this bit
by Jimmy Greystone / September 5, 2014 10:14 AM PDT

I'm confused on this bit because at first you say you bought a computer monitor, not a TV, but then just about everything else you say makes it seem like it's a TV not a monitor. So, which is it? Because if it's a monitor, unless it has speakers built-in, that's your problem right there. If it's a TV then did you make sure to set the HDMI output as your default audio device?

Collapse -
sorry
by deds49 / September 7, 2014 7:31 PM PDT

Yes indeed, when I read my post I see that I may have led some of you to a little bit of a confusion.... sorry! :s

It is a monitor (Philips BDL4231) with built-in speakers.

It has no tuner built-in but if I connect the monitor to a DSL TV receiver, it works fine as "TV"... and when I connect my DSL TV receiver I get pictures and sounds in very good quality. So it's safe to say that speakers are fine and port settings as well.

However, when I connect the monitor to my PC, using the same HDMI cord and port, it only displays pictures (in very good quality) but no sound at all :/

Moreover, HDMI output is well set as the default audio device.

Tonight I'll come back home and I can't wait to try some of the good advices from Bob Wink

Thanks a lot you all, I'll keep you posted !!!

Collapse -
Answer
My 5870 2gb ram does not push sound thru HDMI if this helps
by NeedJusticePleaseThanks / September 8, 2014 1:26 AM PDT

My 5870 2gb ram does not push sound thru HDMI if this helps

Collapse -
It should
by Jimmy Greystone / September 8, 2014 11:12 PM PDT

It should. I forget if it was the 2xxx or 3xxx series where ATI (now AMD) started doing this, but it was a long time ago. Probably about the time that companies started putting HDMI ports on video cards. I had a laptop with a 3xxx series chip in it and I know it could do audio over HDMI because for a time I tried using it as a HTPC, but it was just too noisy.

You have to make sure that the high definition audio drivers are installed and that you set the HDMI port to be the default sound output for Windows unless you're using a program like XBMC where you can manually select which audio output device to use. It's usually the latter part, about setting it as the default for Windows, that trips people up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?