Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Connecting partitioned hard drive as slave to save data

by sorhan75 / March 23, 2008 7:43 AM PDT

my problem concerns a box running XP SP2 whose power supply has failed. The hard drive -a 60GB Samsung SP0208N- was divided into two partitions of 30GB each. C: had the OS, and the data I want to salvage are spread over both C: and D:.

My first idea was to insert the old hard drive into an external enclosure and hook it up to my laptop (also running XP SP2), and so I bought a USB 2.0 enabled external HDD box (CAP-621, Cypress chipset).

But I also have another PC sitting around, an old PIII 500, which is also running XP (not sure whether it is SP2, but it is a single partition).

My question now is:

How do I most efficiently and with the least chance of data loss salvage the data from the partitioned hard drive? By using the enclosure or by hooking the drive up to the old box as a slave? And is the remaining OS on C: of the partitioned drive likely to cause any problems?

My main concern is that XP on the old computer or the enclosure may not recognize correctly the partitions and that either one or both may go bust in the process. I have previously seen unsuccessful recovery attempts from XP where the C: drive ended being all garbled - normally, I would not even mind too much, but as it happens, I have data on that partition as well, and so would really like to avoid this scenario.

Apologies if the above repeats a common problem; I did try a search on the forums but did not get any closer than:

which does not exactly address the recognition problem.

Many thanks for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting partitioned hard drive as slave to save data
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting partitioned hard drive as slave to save data
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No worries. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 23, 2008 8:23 AM PDT

Use either method, internal or external. The main PC will see it as just another drive with two partitions. The OS on the slave will have no effect on the main computer. Just plug it in and access it. I've done this more times than I can count.

If you put it in the enclosure set it as master. Internal on the same cable you need to look at the main HD. If it's set to master, set the new one to slave. If it's set to CS (cable select), set the new drive to CS.

I kinda prefer the external enclosure. This way you can move it around to other PCs. It's more versatile this way.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software.
My mini-Schnauzer is smarter than your honor student.

Collapse -
Thank you so much...
by sorhan75 / March 23, 2008 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: No worries. . .

...for your equally insightful and helpful response!

Being not exactly the technically gifted kind, I imagined that some conflict might arise between the multiple OS or that the enclosure would be unable to handle a partitioned drive. Turns out neither one seems to be the case - but hearing it from somebody experienced in these matters is very reassuring.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to reply!

Collapse -
That's why. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 23, 2008 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you so much...
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?