Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Connecting one computer to another

HP model a6437c
Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Some of my programs (such as Adobe PhotoDeluxe 3.1) just won't work on Vista. Actually quite a few programs don't work right, but that's not why I'm posting.

Is there a cable or something that I could connect from my new computer to an old Gateway w/Win98SE and easily transfer data? I've been doing photo editing on the old computer and burning a cd to transfer files.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting one computer to another
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting one computer to another
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I use a network.

In reply to: Connecting one computer to another

The network card was 4 bucks and the cable went to our router was part of the deal. Networking the machine is likely the fast and cheap solution.

Collapse -
RE: I use a network.

In reply to: I use a network.

Mr. Proffitt,

Thanks for the reply!

I don't know what a router is and where do I buy a network card? What kind of cable? I live near Kansas City so maybe can find a store that has.

Collapse -
Here's the problem.

In reply to: RE: I use a network.

Collapse -
Simple

In reply to: Here's the problem.

The phone line goes to the DSL box and from the DSL box a cable goes to the PC. Buy a Linksys router and connect the DSL box to the router, then the router to the PC, then using one of the other outlets on the router, connect it to the other PC. Now share a folder on either PC, click on Network on either PC, and the files are shared so you can transfer them from one PC to the other.

I wrote this very simplified. You may have to check a few options (enable things) on either PC, but this is pretty much how a mini network is setup.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
RE: Simple

In reply to: Simple

Thanks for the replies, Bob & Sovereign. I did all the reading. Will probably get one like this: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-EtherFast-Router-4-Port-BEFSR41/dp/B00004SB92 if you agree is correct.

I wonder if Time Warner Cable Co will then charge me for having more than 1 computer hooked to their cable modem? It might be the deciding factor whether or not I go through this.

Looking at the back of their (TWC) Toshiba PCX2600 cable modem I see an unused USB port and wonder what that is for?

I have to drive to Sam's Club in KC anyways this morning and maybe they will have a router.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
No worries...

In reply to: RE: Simple

Time Warner won't charge you based on the number of computers you have connected provided they're all yours and not, say, the neighbors. You're still subject to the maximum bandwidth you're paying for, whether it's used by one computer or split between several, so there are no worries there. (Those companies that charge extra for 'networking' actually are charging for the 'professional' setup and lease of the router, which isn't necessary.)

As to the modem, they typically have an ethernet port, which is preferred, but also a USB port for those who have an older computer and haven't updated it with a networking card. Again, nothing to be concerned about.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Easy Transfer Cable for Vista

In reply to: No worries...

Saw this while looking at routers http://www.belkin.com/easytransfercable/ and wondered what you guys think of it. Don't guess it would work for my Win98se though.

Thanks for info abt TWC. My 2nd tv costs a bunch.

Collapse -
It's ok, but unnecessary...

In reply to: Easy Transfer Cable for Vista

If you have a router it's entirely unnecessary and, as you said, the included software is not compatible with Windows 98SE.

John

Collapse -
RE: It's ok, but unnecessary...

In reply to: It's ok, but unnecessary...

John,

I was curious if that Belkin Easy Transfer Cable would do what I wanted (transfer files) without a router. It was I think $13 cheaper.

Bought a router. Linskeys model # BEFSR41

Thanks everyone for your help!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.