TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

connecting Nintendo NES-001 to my LG plasma tv

by ozthecat / August 25, 2017 11:52 AM PDT

I am trying to connect my old NES system to my LG 42PA4500 plasma tv using the audio and video cables. The tv recognizes the presence of an input but says that the format is invalid. I've tried changing various input parameters relating to resolution but cannot find a solution. Has anyone any idea of what my problem might be?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connecting Nintendo NES-001 to my LG plasma tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connecting Nintendo NES-001 to my LG plasma tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
connecting NES-001 to LG plasma TV
by ozthecat / August 25, 2017 12:21 PM PDT

Thank you - that's the one component that was missing from the set. I ordered an rf modulator from eBay and am anxious to try that approach. I'll update my results as soon as it arrives. Still am puzzled by the "invalid format" - others have shown successful hookups to digital tvs on youtube.

Collapse -
As I'm not there
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2017 12:33 PM PDT

I can't test the composite signal on other sets. I take it you know that the component inputs are shared and may not auto switch to composite?

Sorry but I didn't find the manual for your model. Or rather too many models 42PA4500 for a few countries so I didn't. If you want me to check the manual, I'll need a link to your exact 42PA4500.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Success
by ozthecat / August 29, 2017 11:03 AM PDT

Success! The solution was inputting the video signal by way of the rf modulator. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the helpful advice.

Collapse -
Glad it helped.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2017 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Success
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!