Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Connecting new Samsung TV to internet

by TonyPerez24 / January 1, 2014 1:16 AM PST

I recently purchased a 64 inch Samdung television; model PN64E633D2F. I desire to connect the relevision to the internet so i can get stuff like netflix. I have been able to accomplish this trough an x-box but would prefer to use a device just for this so I can few up the xbox for game use on another television/

I have a cisco LinksysE1000 Router. Customer support at lINKSYS suggested that I obtain a 4 port dual Entertainment Bridge, model WES10n. When I attempted to hook the bridge to the tv i was unable to becasue the outline for the Bridge was an ethernet cable and the ports for the tv are everything but ethernet (USB, EX-Linnk, HDM, and component AV-In) What can I do to make that connection? Is there a cable made this is ethernet for the out put of the Entertainment Bridge and one of the ports for going into the television?

TonyPerez24 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting new Samsung TV to internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting new Samsung TV to internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Odd number. Looks incorrect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2014 1:18 AM PST

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by TonyPerez24

Collapse -
Unless it has wireless
by Jimmy Greystone / January 1, 2014 1:33 AM PST

Unless it has wireless, that doesn't look like a smart TV that can be connected to the Internet directly. In which case you'd need some kind of box, be it an xbox, something like the roku, or even a HTPC. Typically the larger sized smart TVs will have an ethernet port in addition to wireless. However, without an ethernet port, the whole ethernet bridge idea is a bust. If the TV has wireless capabilities, the on screen menus should allow you to find your wireless network, input the password and be on your merry way.

So either you don't have a smart TV, in which case you're going to need to leave the Xbox where it is or replace it with something functionally comparable, or you just need to configure the wireless connection on the TV for your home network.

Collapse -
Answer
If no inbuilt wifi
by James Denison / January 1, 2014 3:56 AM PST

you could try a USB wifi on it. Check the settings for the TV internally, see what's available there as choices, might find the info you seek. Is this on cable TV service combined with internet? Older analog or newer digital? Using a set top box? If so, then the internet service will come through the set top box connection.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.