General discussion

Connecting my PN51 to a PC through HDMI

My PC has a Nvidia 580 GTX with 2 DVI and 1 miniHDMI outputs. It came with a miniHDMI to HDMI adapter. I am using this miniHDMI output to connect to the HDMI 1 port on my plasma. I have resolutions set to 1920x1080 @ 60hz, but the problem is, I get a lot of noisy green pixels on the screen. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Also, it's my understanding that connecting through VGA will not support full HD resolution, correct? Otherwise I would just do that.

The HDMI cable is high speed and tested through a Bluray player through the same port, so I can rule out a bad cable. The only point in the connection that is suspect is the miniHDMI to HDMI connector that came with the graphics card.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Connecting my PN51 to a PC through HDMI
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Connecting my PN51 to a PC through HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
This might be a little bit obvious but...

Since the port on the tv works with the same hdmi cord, different device, and you've said yourself the mini dvi is suspect...
Trying connecting the laptop via hdmi to another device, or even another port on the tv.

If that doesn't solve the issue, you've pretty much already said it, the mini hdmi to hdmi needs to be replaced. It may be something more esoteric but I'd put money on a simple adapter malfunction before digging deeper.

- Collapse -
Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Well, I switched to the number 2 HDMI input on my TV and it was a lot cleaner. Still a little bit of noise in the black areas of the picture, but it was sufficient. Next step is to go buy a new mini to HDMI adapter.

CNET Forums