TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Connecting my 5.1 System with my PC

Hey! I recently got the Philips HTB3550G and would love to connect it to my PC, considering I use that a lot more than my TV. I was wondering if it was possible, and if so, what I need for it to work. Here the ports I have available on both my system and my PC:

http://i.imgur.com/g0iSCqW.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/O0AQuoQ.jpg

This is copied from the system's manual:

Connectivity
Front Connections: Audio in, Hi-Speed USB, Microphone In

Rear Connections: Digital Coaxial in, Digital optical in, Easy-Fit Speaker Jacks, Ethernet, HDMI 1.4 output (ARC), AUX in, Fixed FM Antenna, Wireless Rear Audio

Integrated Connections: Bluetooth, NFC

Appreciate any help, thanks in advance!

mxzh has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting my 5.1 System with my PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting my 5.1 System with my PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
PC is likely the bottleneck

In reply to: Connecting my 5.1 System with my PC

Since this HT 'All in One' system lack HDMI inputs, you will need to find another type of connection that would send along a digital audio signal from your desktop to the Philips unit. I don't see anything obviously marked as 'digital audio output' in your screenshot from the back of your desktop PC. Bob (who also replied) could probably recommend sound card options if you provided more specifics on the make/exact model # of the PC.

Basically, there's no reason why a PC or other device couldn't pass along audio to this rig, since the specs indicate it's possible via either a digital optical or digital coaxial input. Video output from a PC is a non-starter since there are no video inputs behind the Phillips. ARC may also be a non-starter depending on which HDTV you own, and as Bob has suggested, since ARC is hit or miss.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by mxzh

Collapse -
That's not a receiver.

Collapse -
Oh no :(

In reply to: That's not a receiver.

So there's no way to actually get 5.1 with this? Even if I buy a sound card or something like that?

Collapse -
See my reply above

In reply to: Oh no :(

Yes, it *is* entirely possible to send along a 5.1 signal to this Phillips rig.

Collapse -
I left out some boxes that could add this to almost any PC.

In reply to: That's not a receiver.

Collapse -
Looks good

In reply to: I left out some boxes that could add this to almost any PC.

It looks to also have digital optical output, which gets my vote Wink

What is this 'beam forming' they refer to? <putting on my old star trek hat>

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: I left out some boxes that could add this to almost any PC.

So I could connect my system to this and then the card to my PC and I'd get the actual 5.1 sound?

Collapse -
Hypothetically, yes. There's always trial and error though.

In reply to: Thanks

The brutal part is the trial and error some folks don't anticipate. For this reason, I always buy from retailers/etailers w/ liberal return policies.

hth,
P

Collapse -
Hm

In reply to: Hypothetically, yes. There's always trial and error though.

The problem is that I most likely won't find something like this in a shop here Sad

Collapse -
Where you located?

In reply to: Hm

Perhaps we can assist?

Collapse -
In theory

In reply to: Thanks

However a friend who I've warned that I won't talk about their downloaded content often complains about the lack of 5.1 in downloaded content. At first they thought it was their PC.
Bob

Collapse -
Cables

In reply to: In theory

Do you know which cables/outputs I would use to make this work? Thanks!

Collapse -
If I were to do this.

In reply to: Cables

I'd get some USB to optical device then an optical cable to the HTB3550G.

Collapse -
Thanks a lot

In reply to: If I were to do this.

So it would go like this: HTB3550G -(Optical cable)->USB to Optical ->Creative Sound Card-(USB)->PC?
Sorry for all these questions, but I just wanna be 100% sure before I spend more money.

Collapse -
(NT) Or arrows from PC to HTB?

In reply to: Thanks a lot

Collapse -
Nope. Bob is correct. Try it this way...

In reply to: Thanks a lot

PC (USB out) -> (USB in) Creative (digital optical out) --> (digital optical in) HTB3550G

Don't forget to look at configuring any/all audio settings in PC, as well as the Phillips rig once it's all connected.

Enjoy!

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Nope. Bob is correct. Try it this way...

Thanks a lot! Really appreciate everybodies help.

Collapse -
I do have one question though

In reply to: Nope. Bob is correct. Try it this way...

The optical port on my system is labeled "In", doesn't that mean it won't deliver anything "out" but only take it in from somewhere else?

Collapse -
Wait. So you want to send audio from the system?

In reply to: I do have one question though

I read you wanted to send audio from the PC to the audio system. If you want to do something else, clear this up.
Bob

Collapse -
Oh

In reply to: Wait. So you want to send audio from the system?

Yeah I think I was confused for a second lol, when I play games or watch movies I want my system to play the sound.

Collapse -
Answer
Let's start..give USB a try.

You may or may not get surround though. You should have a usb cable laying around the house. Have fun.

Collapse -
USB on PC are *inputs*

In reply to: Let's start..give USB a try.

Unfortunately, that's the rub Sad

The OP needs either a sound card or new PC.

cheers

Collapse -
usb can go both direction,

In reply to: USB on PC are *inputs*

I am not sure it this will work without other configuration...but I thought it doesn't cost anything to try.

Collapse -
You are correct

In reply to: usb can go both direction,

Probably worth a try.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.