Question

Connecting Laptop to TV (on a budget)

Hello
I am trying to connect my laptop to my TV to watch movies on a bigger screen, but I am having a hard time finding a format that is compatible with the TV and the laptop (which is kind of old).

My laptop has:
VGA plug
S-video plug (8pins)
USB and IEEE 1394a firewire (not sure if I can use these for video?)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB

And the TV has:
HDMI
RGB
YPbPr
S-video (5 pins)

I know I can get a converter for VGA to RBG but can't find one under $100.
Is there a way to convert the S-video 8 pins to S-video 5 pins format? I have seen some cables with 8 pins on one end and 5 pins on the other but couldn't find any details about these cables connecting a laptop to a TV.

What would be the cheapest way for me to connect my laptop to my TV?
Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Connecting Laptop to TV (on a budget)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Connecting Laptop to TV (on a budget)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Frankly

It would have been easier to tell the TV make and model. I can't check if there is a way to do this on the cheap.

For now, all the solutions I know of are about 100 bucks. I've never seen a cheap cable work but unscrupulous folk will sell them.
Bob

- Collapse -
Hello

Hello
Thanks for your answer.
The TV is a Sylvania LC320SLX, and the laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1520. I also have a Gateway M-series.
I don't want to spend $100 because I would rather put that kind of money towards buying a newer laptop with an HDMI port Happy
Thanks

- Collapse -
Sylvania 320 series

Bob's right about the cables and the only way I see to go with that unit is S video, literally, IMO, I'd save the money to replace L/T.

- Collapse -
Answer
Search well

Search for compatibility issues. You can use an external Hard drive and not the laptop may be. Copy files from the laptop to the HD and then connect it. A USB connector is needed for this only.

CNET Forums