General discussion

Connecting IPTV to Home theater system

I have got IPTV recently connected. This is run through a set top box AmiNET125 (http://www.aminocom.com)

The set top box ( a router) is connected to the AV in of my TV. I have a Philips Home theater system. Earlier I had connected the TV to this system through audio out and TV in. But when the set top box is connected through AV in this does not work.

The set top box has a SPDIF digital output. But the home theater system does not have a SPDIF in. But it has two Audio in sockets for connecting a VCR or other devices.

My question is can I connect the SPDIF output to these Audio inputs? Will it work? I suppose I need a special cable with SPDIF on one side and two RCA connections on the other? Are they available?

From what I saw, SPDIF cables are expensive. I thought I should check up before spending money on such a cable.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Connecting IPTV to Home theater system
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Connecting IPTV to Home theater system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
just use the regular red/white rca

audio connections. Even if there was a way to do what you want (not), you wouldnt benefit at all. As for the day you are able to use SPDIF, Monoprice sells em for about $3. They are good quality. Not expensive. Thick beefy insulation, and beefy metal rectangular terminals.

- Collapse -
How to use RCA

The set top box has only a SPDIF output jack. Will the RCA jack fit that? I did not try for fear of damaging something.

- Collapse -
Which cable

I am confused by the variety of cables at monoprice.com. Can you tell me a cable name which will serve my requirement?

Thanks.

- Collapse -
No RCA jack on the box?

then you got problem. SPDIF are digital where rca is analog and you HTIB is analog only (right?).

- Collapse -
HTS is Digital

No RAC socket in the set top box. There is only a SP DIF digital output socket. According to the manual this is to be used with an external decoder and amplifier.

The AV output of the set top box is connected to the TV with a component cable.

The Home theater system is a digital amplifier with Dolby 5.1 surround sound. Dolby Digital pro logic II. The Aux in - 500mV TV in - 250 Mv.

Both the inputs are standard two pin RCA.

Now the Aux is connected to my satellite radio receiver.

- Collapse -
Without being there, I can't place my brain as to..

what you got exactly. The problem is not the HTIB but the lack of proper connection; sounds like what you have may already being in used.

This is for your info; the regular audio stereo jacks are color red and white and is usually located in pairs. There is also another audio connection that uses RCA jack..and that is..an co-ax audio (which is digital but not in pair.).

- Collapse -
Problem solved

The set top box was connected to the TV with a composite cable, one for Video and two for Audio. I unplugged the Audio connections from the TV and gave it to the Home theater Audio inputs.

And Hey Presto! Problem solved.

Thank you for the responses.

CNET Forums