Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Connecting a printer to Apple Time Capsule... HELP

Hi all,

First post, hope its the right place, not sure if anyone will be able to help or not. I have an Apple Time Capsule and two printers (a Canon iP4500 and an Epson R300). I have 3 computers in the house - the iMac, MacBook Pro and a HP laptop thing (not sure what model as it belongs to my wife).

I want to have the Canon set up as a wireless printer, so that all computers in the house can print from it. I have the Canon connected through the USB to the TC and it is seen by my mac's through Bonjour - but when printing, nothing happens (if connected direct via usb to the computer it prints happily).

When I set up the Epson, again via usb to the TC, it works perfectly, no problems what so ever!

Is there something I have not done when setting up the Canon? The Canon is cheaper to run than the Epson, hence why I want that set up over the wireless network.

All help very very much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting a printer to Apple Time Capsule... HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting a printer to Apple Time Capsule... HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Discussions about the TC and ip4500

In reply to: Discussions about the TC and ip4500

Thanks - had a look, nothing I've not already tried - have posted for help on macosx.com now - not come accross that site before so thanks for directing me in its direction.

Collapse -
Sorry.

In reply to: Discussions about the TC and ip4500

I don't own that combo and don't know anyone with so I can only comment that in Windows we need to change the "connection" to the printer after we move it to the TC. It's not automatic and I have yet to be able to avoid the initial connection to the PC.
Bob

Collapse -
RE Sorry

In reply to: Sorry.

Thanks Bob, I've been having more of a play - still no luck - seems to be a bit of a challenge.

Collapse -
I've sussed it...

In reply to: RE Sorry

Just incase anyone else comes across this thread looking for the same answers....

I found on one forum that people had reset their printer prefs, unplugged the Time Capsule, left it for 30 secs, rebooted it and then added the printer via Time Capsule. I tried this and no luck. I then did the same again, but instead of using the iP4500 driver, I used the alternative driver that was on offer. This allowed the printer to be used wirelessly, however the duplex printing part of the driver did not work.

So I reset the printer prefs, unplugged the TC, let it rest for a few mins, then went to the Canon web site and installed the Printer Driver for OSX (CUPS). Then searched for it again in the system prefs, found it again (the mac using bonjour) and tried to print again. Success, so tried a multiple page doc and told it to print with the duplex - success!

So for know at least, it all seems to be working.

Collapse -
If you have really sussed it...please help...

In reply to: I've sussed it...

Hi

I am having exactly the same problems and STILL despite this post cannot get it to work.

Would it be possible to run me through detail of what you did...eg Reset printer preferences...what does that entail?

I removed the printer via System Preference, removed the files for Canon in user/Library/Preferences and Printers. Unplugged the TC and powered off the printer. Restarted the Mac, reloaded the printer driver from Canon (CUPS)...it restarted itself...powered up the TC and Printer, and then ran through the add printer from the System Prefs...and then....silence. I can't even get the progress window up for the Canon iP4500 series.

It all works fine when plugged in directy to the Mac.

Help!!

Collapse -
Apple time capsule

In reply to: Connecting a printer to Apple Time Capsule... HELP

It all sounds much more complicated than it need be I just went to.....

http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/setup.html

and followed the following instructions to add my Canon ip4500:

To print using Mac OS X v10.3
Open Printer Setup Utility (located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder).
Select the printer from the list.

To print using Mac OS X v10.4 or v10.5
Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu and click Print & Fax.
Click Add (+) and select your printer from the list.
Click the Add button.

both laptop and desktop machines wirelessly located the time capsule and added the printer

good luck

Collapse -
iP4500

In reply to: Apple time capsule

I agree my way is long winded, but it works with all the funcunality of the printer. I did try your way and yes I could print, but it did not work to duplex (both sides) print or to print onto a CD. Both I use alot. I got it working, doing everything I want it to do, that's all I'm bothered about.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!