Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Connecting a linksys router to a Windows 98 Enternet 300 DSL

Im in desperate need of tech help from anyone who can throw me a hint here. I've recently moved in with my parents for a short period of time and I'm trying to set up a network with my wireless linksys router so I can get online with my laptop. Unfortunatly, the way my dad has his internet setup is on a old Windows 98 PC which logs into his DSL router (directly connected) using some software called Enternet 300.

Now the only OS I really have decent experience with in terms of networking is Windows XP. Im pretty much clueless with Win 98. I connected the router to the computer and for whatever reason I couldnt even log into the router interface with the router's IP from the Windows 98 machine. I know it's the right IP because I tried it on my (offline) XP desktop and and got into the router config screen fine.

Every time I try to connect the router to the modem (physicly) and then to the 98 machine, I can't get any access through Enternet 300, even after I took the router over to my XP machine, and configured it for PPPoE (what enternet uses) and made sure the router had the correct login info (username, password).

I understand that Windows XP has built in support for PPPoE and 98 doesn't and that's why my dad uses Enternet 300, but how on earth can I get Enternet to connect through the router? The ISP tech support won't help me because the router is from another company.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecting a linksys router to a Windows 98 Enternet 300 DSL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecting a linksys router to a Windows 98 Enternet 300 DSL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you also set the MAC address in the router?

In reply to: Connecting a linksys router to a Windows 98 Enternet 300 DSL

Sometimes that's needed. As well as updating the firmware in the router.

Also a damning issue I ran into was I had to uninstall PPPOE software (some, not all) to connect to the router. Drives people insane!

Bob

Collapse -
Linksys with Win98

In reply to: Connecting a linksys router to a Windows 98 Enternet 300 DSL

Hi,
First make sure that the Enternet 300 doesnt run automatically. if it does DO NOT connect thru that. First turnOff the PC and connect to the linksys and linksys to the modem (Would be better if u could have given me the name of the modem). Then turn on the devices and once PC is up open InternetExplorer and type" 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and when asked for user name and pwd. type "admin" for both (in case u didnt change the defaults) Under the Settings page.. Make sure the connection type is NOT "Automatic config DHCP" It should be PPPOE for your connection. and then type ur ISP's user name and pwd completely.. including the @xxx.com. Save settings and reboot the PC.. u should be connected and incase NO get me info abt the modem.

Thanks

Collapse -
Linksys with Win98

In reply to: Linksys with Win98

don't use Enternet 300 , use the pppoe connection type on the linksys .. access the setup page by going to 192.168.1.1 in your web browser leave username blank and admin in the password field..you also need to make sure your network adapter is working .. but even better give you folks a present, upgrade them to Win Xp.. 98 was retired in July...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.