Storage forum

General discussion

connecting 2 SATA drives

by pboim1 / July 27, 2008 10:26 AM PDT

Hi there, I've got an old asus A7V880. Have been running the system fine for the last couple years with my one SATA drive. I connect a new drive that I bought today and it won't boot. It'll start the windows screen but freeze and re-start. If I disconnect the new drive then i can boot fine with the old one. But not both at the same time. Any ideas, tips? I do not want them in RAID in case anyone's wondering.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connecting 2 SATA drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connecting 2 SATA drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
cont'd
by pboim1 / July 27, 2008 10:39 AM PDT

both drives are SATA 2.0 (but are set to 1.5Gb/s since my mb doesn't support sata 2)

Collapse -
Try safe mode
by Steven Haninger / July 27, 2008 10:41 AM PDT

See if you can get to safe mode. If you can, go to disk manager and partition the drive if you can. I also have to wonder about drive capacity and jumpers. Does your BIOS recognize the drive and in it's full capacity? As well, if your SATA drive is set to 300 mbs you may need to set the jumper to 150 to work with your MB.

Collapse -
Additionally
by Steven Haninger / July 27, 2008 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Try safe mode

You've answered the SATA 1/2 question. I suppose it's possible your PS is marginal and can't handle the extra current draw.

Collapse -
by pboim1 / July 27, 2008 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Additionally

tried safe mode, no dice. won't recognize the drive in bios.

how much more power does an SATA drive use compared to regular IDE? It's one of the new seagate 7200.11 640G, eco friendly drives. I used to have a pretty fancy rig back in the day, 4 IDE drives, 2 CD drives, crapload of fans. Now I've only got the one HD and a burner... but yes, i have thought of the PS as the issue.

Collapse -
Time to experiment
by Steven Haninger / July 27, 2008 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

From what you've said, the problem isn't with Windows but with the drive being recognized by the MB. You can try connecting it without the other drive running and see if it's detected. Try it on both ports. Windows won't see it until the BIOS does. As for power need, it shouldn't require more than older drives and some even claim to use less.

Collapse -
also.
by pboim1 / July 27, 2008 11:08 AM PDT

My old system drive was a SATA maxtor 200G. When i upgraded to my current SATA, I was going to run both drives - but was never able to boot, so i just assumed that the maxtor crapped out. Today also i got an external enclosure and pooped in the maxtor and it's working fine. So the issue isn't my new barracuda 640G, but everything else i guess. any ideas? anyone has similar issues with adding a new SATA?

Collapse -
Looking at that board specs
by Steven Haninger / July 27, 2008 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: also.

It mentions the SATA ports can be optionally configured for RAID 0 or 1. I presume you've set them as standard ports and that this doesn't need to be done to each individually. I remember some of these ASUS boards as having some limitations with mixed IDE and SATA controllers in that not all ports could be used with some configurations. As well, I think ASUS used either Promise or VIA controllers for these hybrid types. Of course you'll want to make sure you have the latest BIOS but also consult the manual for any such limitations as mentioned.

Collapse -
to
by pboim1 / July 27, 2008 11:41 AM PDT

to eliminate any conflicts my IDE drive is unplugged. so just the two SATA drives. As far as updating the bios, it's there. last update was...4 years ago! d'oe

Collapse -
You got an OS on both drives?
by ahtoi / July 27, 2008 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: also.

If yes..how about changing the bootdrive in the bios.

Collapse -
update.
by pboim1 / July 27, 2008 12:59 PM PDT

latest bios, latest via raid driver. still no dice.

no OS on new drive, since i just bought it today - hasn't been formatted. have tried both sata ports, have tried with various other devices unplugged...doesn't seem to want to work. going to try it in my external now, sure it will work - but doesn't resolve my issue of not being able to boot with both sata drives in. and no, bios still doesn't recognize it. Sad

Collapse -
drive is fine.
by pboim1 / July 27, 2008 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: update.

am formatting it now in my external enclosure, and then will try to boot with it again. i'm not optimistic since booting wouldn't work with my maxtor either. Sad

Collapse -
must be the motherboard.
by pboim1 / July 27, 2008 4:06 PM PDT

reconnected everything, checked again and again. The new hard drive won't boot or be recognized by the bios. BUT I managed to get my older maxtor sata to boot with my other sata. So, what i'm thinking is that there's a limiting factor on the size of the drive - my new one is 640G...and since this motherboard is 4+ years old and the latest bios update was about 2-3 years ago, don't know where i go from here.

Collapse -
Sounds like it could be just the size of the drive
by Steven Haninger / July 27, 2008 8:21 PM PDT

If you need a second internal, you can still get small ones down to about 80 gigs. It might be possible to calculate the largest drive your MB will recognize if this is not published. You'd need the drive geometry info such as one would do by manually define a drive in the BIOS.

Collapse -
well right now
by pboim1 / July 28, 2008 2:34 AM PDT

i've got my old 320G barracuda, and my even older 200G maxtor. both work fine now over the SATA. however, still can't figure out why the new 640G won't work...and i've been searching pretty extensively and i can't seem to find anything on hdd size limits (esp on SATA)

Collapse -
ok
by pboim1 / July 29, 2008 2:11 AM PDT

so basically there isn't a size limit for SATA drive being recognized by the mb bios. so must be some new technology in the drive that isn't getting it done. anyway, sent an email to seagate...hopefully they've got something to say

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?