Windows 7 forum

General discussion

connecting 1 windows 7 machine and 1 windows xp machine to s

ive got 2 computers hooked up to a router by Ethernet sharing an internet connection, the internet connection works fine for both computers. i would like to share documents also between the computers

one is a windows xp 32
one is a windows 7 64

ive set up many networks in the past with a bunch of xp machines without any trouble but now i am having trouble
my first step was on the windows 7 machine, i went to control panel -> network and sharing center -> setup a connection or network -> set up a new network

this is where i believe i am making a mistake of some kind, it seems that the windows 7 machine is assuming that i want to set up the network wirelessly, when it is connected to the router via Ethernet. it simply brings me to a screen that says choose the wireless router or access point you want to configure, and hangs there with a greyed out next button

everything seems to be going fine on the xp machine, i created a new network called "sharebear", told it that the computer connects through a residential gateway, enabled file and printer sharing, rebooted the machine, and confirmed that there was a new folder in the network places for shared documents

i went back to the windows 7 machine where it was still hanging, rebooted it, looked for the new network in network and sharing center and it wasn't there, i tried again to "set up a new network" on the windows 7 machine with the same hanging screen

what am i doing wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connecting 1 windows 7 machine and 1 windows xp machine to s
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connecting 1 windows 7 machine and 1 windows xp machine to s
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
UPDATE!!! the computers can see one another! on the windows

In reply to: connecting 1 windows 7 machine and 1 windows xp machine to s

UPDATE!!!
the computers can see one another!

on the windows 7 machine,
under the network sharing center, if i click on the icon at the top of the screen that says "multiple networks" i can see the windows xp computer, click on it and view and read/write all the shared files! my only concern with the windows 7 machine is why do i have to click on "multiple networks", why cant i see the network i created on the windows xp machine called "sharebear"?

on the windows xp machine,
if i click "add a network place" i can see the sharebear network, with only the xp machine on it, and there's another option called "workgroup", and if i click on that i can see the windows 7 machine, but the "ok" option is greyed out

so ive made some progress but im still not where i want to be, i hope this bit of info helps u help me Happy

Collapse -
Seeing each other.

In reply to: UPDATE!!! the computers can see one another! on the windows

You just need to enter the same WORKPLACE network name on both PC's. I also have an XP & 7. On the XP got to ' my network places'

Collapse -
In general

In reply to: UPDATE!!! the computers can see one another! on the windows

Generally any home network needs to be set up with both, (or all), computers having the same account profile. That means, XP account name and password exactly the same as Win 7. Log in to both computers with that identical account profile, then set up the home network from there.

Which version of XP is this? If it is XP Home I believe, (but I am not sure), that Simple File Sharing is already turned on, but in XP Professional you have to turn it on.

Also and as has already been said, both computers must be a member of the same Workgroup.

After the network has been set up successfully it doesn't then matter which account you are logged into on either system.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.