Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Connected to Wi-Fi, but can't get any websites

by jlaufer / November 5, 2007 6:11 AM PST

Hi,

I have a BRAND NEW, just out of the box, Dell Vostro with Windows Vista. I an able to connect to various Wi-Fi hotspots, but when I open Explorer, I get nothing. I spent hours on the phone with the Dell techs today, and they didn't really seem to know what they were doing. The Windows firewall is turned off, the card is turned on, and still nothing. They had me change various settings, reboot, etc., still nothing. I really do not want to have to send this machine back.

Help! This is so aggravating!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connected to Wi-Fi, but can't get any websites
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connected to Wi-Fi, but can't get any websites
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"I an able to connect to various Wi-Fi hotspots"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2007 9:57 AM PST

But what about your hotspot. Your internet connection. Try that.

Collapse -
Can connect, but not able to get to any websites
by jlaufer / November 5, 2007 9:04 PM PST

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean. I am connected, but I can't get any websites. I tried three different hotspots, so it's got to be a problem with my laptop (by the way, this is a laptop).

Collapse -
Tell us about YOUR wifi router. How it's connected, etc.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2007 11:16 PM PST

All other spots could be secure or such. Let's start with YOUR connection.

Bob

Collapse -
Tell us about YOUR wifi router. How it's connected, etc.
by jlaufer / November 5, 2007 11:32 PM PST

The hotspots I've connected to are public ones that are not encrypted. I don't currently have my own internet connection on this new laptop (my husband and I are planning to share a Verizon wireless PC card, but we have to get a USB-type peripheral as my current PC card doesn't fit the new laptop). For now, we wanted to be able to use the local hotspots, and anyway, if we can't get this working with hotspots, Verizon wireless may not work either. Where we live, the only broadband available is Verizon wireless. We have no cable or DSL. Only dial-up.

We could download the dial-up software for our dial-up ISP, but we have to get online first!

Collapse -
So you don't own a WIFI network.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2007 12:42 AM PST

I wish that was clear at first. It took this many tries to get that out in the open.

Did you check our forum sticky which leads to the usual Vista WIFI patch?

I need to know so we don't waste time on that.

Bob

Collapse -
So you don't own a WIFI network.
by jlaufer / November 6, 2007 1:21 AM PST

Sorry to waste time. I thought a hotspot referred to a public signal. I'm not exactly a computer or WIFI techie. No, I haven't checked out that patch. You mean to tell me I get a brand new computer from Dell and I need to download a patch??? What kind of &*(#! is that?! I will be really PO'd if that is the case. I thought you just take it out of the box, and use it. Pretty naive to think you spend $1K and get something that actually works...I'll try it and let you know what happens...

Collapse -
It usually works out of the box.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2007 1:57 AM PST

But there is that issue where Microsoft programmed it "by the book" and many routers/hotspots are from years ago and not "by the book."

Is the wifi Vista patch/change installed?

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for your help, Bob.
by jlaufer / November 6, 2007 2:21 AM PST

Unfortunately, I am out of town right now, so I won't be able to do this until Friday. I'll let you know what happens... Thanks so much.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?