Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Connect Two Small Offices

My name is Scott and I could use some help. I am the IT Director for my company which is pretty small. 50 employees max. We have two offices. One in NJ (HQ) and one in NYC (Sales Office). Right now I am running a make shift "file server" on a higher end desktop with Windows Vista. I was able to open up access to allow a single VPN connection to this machine. (PPTP) Just your basic garden variety simple VPN tunnel with basic authentication. (I know not very secure).

I was able to do this on my own but I need some help with the next step. Innate in this type of set-up, only one user can access the server from offsite at a time. In the IMMEDIATE future, I need to have at least 3-5 concurrent users being able to pull files from this server. Similarly, I?ve designed a ?homegrown? software package that will be housed on a separate ?application server?. We will eventually need a multi-user VPN connection to this server as well.

Last but not least, we have Sales and Merchandising personnel all over; including ASIA, EUROPE and CANADA. They will need access to these servers as well.

I need suggestions on what type of set-up is best suited for this business model and how do I go about getting started. Unfortunately, as the economy is in shambles, I don?t have a large budget.

Here is some basic info for both offices. End-user base is comprised of a mixture of Mac and PC users, but mostly PC users.

CH (HQ)
ISP: Comcast.
Bandwidth: cable (not exactly sure of the Mbps)
Hardware: SMC Model 8014

NYC ? (Sales)
ISP: Verizon
Bandwidth: ADSL (not exactly sure of the Mbps)
Hardware: Westell Model A90

I'm only looking at a few hundred dollars in my budget. The powers-that-be are from a different school of thought when it comes to technology and business. They want it to work for the cheapest possible price. Any suggestions.

Right now we have one Public IP pointing to the one server internally. Is there a way for me to set up multiple users to access the same server using the one public? or will I need to orders separate public IPs for each user.

My total knowledge of networking is limited to the basic and this is the first time I've ever done something like this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect Two Small Offices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect Two Small Offices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
VPN advice

In reply to: Connect Two Small Offices

Hi Scott,

The easiest solution would be to install a VPN/Firewall at the NJ site and allow users to VPN in. The VPN/Firewall would serve as the VPN termination and once the clients sucessfully authenticate to it, have them get the files from the Vista PC. (server) Vista Business and Ultimate can handle 10 concurrent connections so you're okay there at least for now.

I understand price is an issue as we're all hurting. If you can swing it, my preferance would be to use a SonicWall firewall as they can be easily set up and running with IPSec VPN access in no time. SonicWall has their own VPN client software so all you need is a downloaded VPN policy file from the firewall, import it and you're done!

Second choice would be the ProGear series VPN/firewall from Netgear. They are cheaper, but not a solid as SonicWall. I've had a Netgear VPN/firewall literally take a dive already.

If I use SonicWall as an example, the TZ190 can handle site-to-site VPN's as well as client-to-site VPN's. Buy additional client VPN licenses as you go.

And in either case, (SonicWall or Netgear) you'll really only need 1 public IP.

Hope that helps...

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: VPN advice

Thanks Bkirby. I appreciate the response. You've given me quite a bit of really great information and products to research. I have some homework to do!!!

Thanks again buddy.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.