Laptops forum

General discussion

Connect TV to laptop and its black and white - why?

by JillH / November 25, 2004 9:32 PM PST

With my last laptop I connected it to the TV (I teach and I use the TV instead of a blackboard - I type and kids see it on the tv)
With my new laptop (LG-LM50 and I love it) I got a new cable, plugged in and I can see the images but no matter what i do I can't seem to get anything but black and white on the TV.
Any ideas very gratefully received. Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect TV to laptop and its black and white - why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect TV to laptop and its black and white - why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Connect TV to laptop and its black and white - why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2004 10:37 PM PST

Try this. Change the refresh rate on the laptop to 60Hz.

What happens?

Bob

Collapse -
by JillH / November 26, 2004 12:06 AM PST

I went into properties and 60 is the only option it gives me as the option hide rates that arent available was ticked - so it's already on 60.
Could you help me with what to try next please?
thank you

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 12:09 AM PST

Now try 640x480 display. Some sets will go b/w when presented with other sizes.

Then you try another TV.

I don't repair TVs so you'll have to call the TV repair person if it works on another set.

Bob

Collapse -
by JillH / November 26, 2004 12:24 AM PST

I can't put my lap top on 640x480 as it only goes down to 800x600.
It's not a TV problem as it works fine with my old laptop (Dell Inspiron) although I have to go into settings and take it down from 32 million to 16 and then back up again to get colour - but it DOES give me colour.
Unfortunately no matter what I try with this LG LM50 it just won't give me colour.
I remember seeing somthing on here about people with the same problem when I was investigating S-vid cables as my Dell doesnt have the typical 4 pin so I had to buy another cable.
I am running XP with sp2

Collapse -
That could be it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 12:40 AM PST

I will ignore your words of denial that it can't be such and such. My background includes CCTV, video and more design so I can write with some authority in this area.

Some laptops produce non-standard NTSC or PAL output so you have to make do by setting the closest VGA mode to NTSC/PAL that VGA has and that is 640x480.

You may have found a laptop that is unsuitable for use with that particular TV. But some will go in denial over such.

Your choice.

But now ask the laptop maker for 640x480 support and how to select NTSC or PAL settings.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.