Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Mac OS forum

General discussion

Connect to Broad Band

by arunsamak / September 16, 2005 9:38 PM PDT

My current connection is to a Broad Band from BSNL on Windows XP. The connection is configured in such a way that the line is always on and need not connect every time. Done using the TCP/IP. Trying to replicate the same on my iMac, but with little luck.

Any suggestions would be welcomed

Regards
Arun Samak

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Broadband Access
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 16, 2005 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Connect to Broad Band

Are you trying have both machines connected at once?

If so, how are you connecting the Mac and the PC to the modem.

You can only connect ONE ethernet cable to the modem at one time. You cannot do Ethernet and USB at the same time.

All broadband connections are always on, unless you turn off the modem, so there isn't any configuration to do.

The usual practice for multiple machines, a local area network, is as follows:
Incoming line (cable or DSL)
Modem
Router (usually 4 port)
Computers.

What configuration is yours

P

Collapse -
Broad Band
by arunsamak / September 22, 2005 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Broadband Access

Thanks for the reply.

I have both Mac & PC. I am trying to connect them separately by just taking the RJ45 cable in to Ethernet port. I have a ADSL Modem. The output is given to Ethernet. The configuration is like a LAN on PC.

Collapse -
BroadBand
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 22, 2005 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Broad Band

Not sure how the configuration is like a LAN on a PC when the arrangement you describe is a single computer connected to the Modem.
Make sure that the Network Prefs on the Mac are set to DHCP. By swapping backwards and forwards you may be confusing things. The Modem is passing out the IP address to the computer. If you remove the computer and replace it with another, without telling the modem that things have changed, it probably will not work.
Try connecting the Mac, with it shut down, power cycle the modem and when it is up and running again, boot the Mac.
Am I correct in thinking that you do not have a switch or router anywhere?

P

Collapse -
Also...
by lampietheclown / September 23, 2005 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: BroadBand

Turn off the modem, or unplug it, and wait for about 30 seconds before restarting it. After the modem boots up, start the computer.
I've found that my modem has the same type of problem going from computer to computer. It sees a different "MAC address" and doesn't know how to react. Unpluging it for a bit causes it to get instructions from the provider's server when it boots up. it should also give you a new I.P. address for the new MAC address.

Lampie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!