PC Hardware forum


Connect Old Pc to New w/ethernet and share WIFI connection

by Pit_27 / January 26, 2017 5:59 PM PST

I have a new computer with a wifi card that I am using to connect to the internet with. I also have an old PC that without a wifi card that I would like to connect to the internet. Is there a way I can connect the two PC's with an ethernet cord and then share new PC's internet to the old PC?

When I select bridge connections on new PC it says that you need two lan connections, so I need a way for lan to wifi.

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect Old Pc to New w/ethernet and share WIFI connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect Old Pc to New w/ethernet and share WIFI connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
There is no support for this but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2017 6:10 PM PST

You want to use a Virtual Router. Google Virtual Router and see which you want to try.

Collapse -
Maybe I'm wrong but
by Pit_27 / January 26, 2017 6:20 PM PST

It looks like all those create a wireless hotspot, which will not work as the old PC has no wireless support.

Collapse -
They also can be set to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2017 6:27 PM PST
In reply to: Maybe I'm wrong but

Accept a WiFi connection and share it over Ethernet. But here's the big deal. You must be adept at use and configuration. It's only similar in name to the usual routers we use.

Google something like:
Virtual Router share wifi connection to ethernet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kInXd6TqbWA might be useful.

Collapse -
by Bob__B / January 26, 2017 8:58 PM PST

How about a usb wifi dongle.
There quite cheap and then each machine will have it's own wifi.

Collapse -
Wi-fi USB adapter/dongle or a Cross-over Ethernet cable.
by gaucherre / January 27, 2017 6:47 PM PST

You can buy a basic small 150Mbps USB Wi-fi adapter for between $5 and $10. Or, spend $15 to $25 and get one with an actual antenna for better Wi-fi reception.
Alternatively, buy a crossover ethernet cable to connect the two PCs together and set the new PC to share the internet connection with another computer.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.